· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Returning an angelfish back to his old tank with a pair currently spawning

0 Not allowed!
    Hey, i need some advice here i have a large angelfish (female i think keeps hanging around with my large male and they never leave each other) in a 30 gallon tank for the time being, it was a bit agressive towards the young pair and the large male it's always hangs around with so i took it out for a few days. Today i planned to put it back to the 100 gallon tank but when i woke up the young pair had started to spawn witch i didn't think was possible since the tank is getting cycled but can't be very stressful since they are at it.

Should i return the angel to the 100 gallon or leave it in the small tank longer?

If i should wait for the fry/eggs to die or get eaten ill have to wait a long time since this pair got fry to 3 weeks free swimming in a tank with 17 other angels in it, could probably hold them longer but i took them out since a tank just got empty and raised them without the parents at that stage.

Need some advice

//Kazumi

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    You could try putting it back in the main tank. Be prepared to take it back out though. Sometimes removing the aggressor works and sometimes it doesn't. I think what might happen at this point is the fish you removed is now the new kid on the block and the spawning pair will pick on it.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That is also what i think even though my pair are extremely kind never attacks more then when they are spawning but their area has always been small now its about 3.9 inches, The tank is about 4ft 11 inches long(exact messurments are 4ft 11 inches and 1/16 of an inch) but ill try it later and see what happens when i can observe the tank for longer.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    There sure are a lot of variables here that could cause an issue. If this fish being placed back in will be the only other angel in the tank it will not work out well. If there are other fish in there that can absorb some of the aggression it will work out better. Need places for the fish to hide so the pursuer will stop the assault in case of issues.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It didn't work out they went all out on the angelfish so i brought him back in the near future im going to give it to a fish store so it can get a better home and see if they have any bigger angels where i might be able to find a positive female and add in so i have a chance of getting another pair otherwise im going to stay at 3 angels insted of 4 until i can find a female

0 Not allowed!
    Keep one pair in one tank and the other pair in the other. Angels get along with their mates, not with others.

Not sure what you will do if you have a group of fry. That's a whole other problem down the line. Be very careful if you are trying to cycle with angels. Not a cycling fish, for sure.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 05-18-2013 at 01:01 PM.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have given the angel that i was going to put back in the tank to a new owner the other 3s are doing just fine one is a bit pressed to a corner since the pair has spawned in the middle of the tank but they are currently cleaning the new plants i got today to move the fry there then the other angel will have atleast half of the tank to him self. I don't agree on "Angels don't get along with others" since i had 19 angels in a tank without problem while the pair i have spawned a few times but i think my uncles angels made my angels abit more like his male "kill everything" now im looking to get another angel female to get the lonely male a partner but i can't find any large speciment were i can see if they have spawned or not, found 2 positive females today but i had to buy the male in the tank aswell. but hopefully it will work out fine.

There is no problems cycling with angels they are the best atleast in my country most of the other fish are breed to hard so they can't survive any change in the water no matter how small it might be. I have done cycles with angels several times and all i know in the aquatic hobby does the same. Maybe in your country a fishless cycle is the best but here it's not good, waste of money and will still be cycling until you get fish in.

This is something i have read on German aquatics expert and they are the best at this. They say a fishless cycle dosn't work since the bacteria won't stay alive unless there are fish in the tank to give them food, but as i said this is from German experts so i can't say if it's true or not i havn't tried fishless cycle since it just cost to much and fish cycle is so much easier and cheaper and i can't see the fish taking any damage expecialy now when my pair started to spawn 2 days after they arrived in the tank and no fish will spawn if it's a stressful or toxic environment. it's only humans that are stupid enough to bring children to the world in a dangerous environment :D

But the fish in question are going to get a wonderfull home in a 2600 gallon SA tank in the local school :D (wish i had that tank myself)

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Well, your German experts are wrong, bacteria wont survive unless there is ammonia for food, that ammonia can come from fish or a bottle, the bacteria doesn't care. When you factor in the work and expense of water changes needed when cycling with fish, a fish-less cycle is much cheaper and easier since there are no water changes needed. Your "experts" have probably been in the hobby for many years and the fish-less cycle is fairly new. It is difficult for people to try new things when they have been successfully doing it the old way for so long. There is nothing wrong with cycling with fish as long as it is done properly with the water changes needed to keep the fish healthy, but don't be afraid to try something new, especially when it has been tried and proven by countless people. For the record, I have seen fish breed in stressful an toxic environments, not often, but it does happen. The fry are not as healthy, but it does happen.

A 2600 gallon tank filled with wild caught angels is my dream tank!
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.