· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Out of Ideas

1. Default Out of Ideas

0 Not allowed!
    Alright, so i like to believe i know my way around a fish aquarium so when a co worker of mine approached me because she had a newly established tank with a lot problems, I was happy to help. She has a 20 gallon, did everything right setting it up, it cycled for a little over a week, i tested the water and everything looked great, so she added 2 fish, a long finned danio and a glo fish danio. a week later she added a couple more fish. no problems, then she described a white fluffy spot appearing on her fish. I automatically assumed fungus so i told her to begin treatment with pimafix. A few days later it spread, i went to her house to check out the fish, and oh boy was she over feeding, worst i had seen, all you could see all over her tank was extra rotting food, this happened in not quite a 2 week period. i tied the fungus to the the overfeeding, making the water poor in quality. i helped her do a small %15 water change and cleaned decorations, main goal was to get all that extra food out of there. Tank started looking good again, added in a cory cat to help with the left over food. She then calls me to tell me a fish died,( so far lost 4 danio) now describing what sounds like fin rot. i told her to start treatment again. i tied it all together as polluted water caused fungus and snow balling into fin rot. . . .. im not sure at this point. her nitrites were testing a little high so she added a bacteria supplement, everything else was testing fine. This girl is really attached to her fish, doesnt want to kill them. . . . .any help would be great.

Awards Showcase

For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady 
    Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Tell your friend to read this http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492
    It takes longer than a week to fully cycle a tank, and if all your friend did was let the tank sit or a week without adding an ammonia source all that happened was the tank sat for a week. It was not cycled when she added fish. Now the tank is cycling with fish. She needs to do more than 15% water changes daily. The amount of water changes depends on the level of ammonia and nitrite in the tank. Test it daily and change enough water to keep those levels around .25ppm.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    she did add i believe its called quick start to start the cycle. everything in the tank tested perfect before adding in fish. its just everything has been going wrong a few weeks later and i know its due to her over feeding. you would not believe how much food was in that tank. im just out of ideas to help her. except to tell her to keep up the water changes. she says her two last fish are swimming weird. i know it has to do with her water levels being off

Awards Showcase

For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady 
    Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    The fact that there are nitrites means the tank is not cycled. Despite what the bottle says, quick start does not cycle a tank.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    + to honey badger
    If your friend wants to save her fish (and it may be too late) she needs to immediately:
    1) vacuum out all the extra food at the bottom and not rely on the catfish to clean it up.
    2) get an API liquid test kit (no strips) and check for ammonia and nitrites and nitrates. If ammonia and Nitrites are over .50ppm, she needs to do water changes (daily or more often) until she gets those numbers down to .25 If nitrates are above .20 - same thing. BIG water change/ Nothing is going to cycle that tank but patience and lots of water changes. And remember - the Beneficial Bacteria she is trying to grow to get the tank cycled lives primarily in her filter and filter media, NOT in the water so changing the water slows nothing down.
    3) read the stickie in the link Honey Badger provided
    Good luck.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    PS - the reason the water tested perfect before she added the fish, was because there was no source of ammonia or waste in the water to create ammonia or nitrites. No fish. no ammonia. When she added the fish and started over feeding she suddenly had tons of rotting food to create ammonia - Both ammonia and nitrites are at toxic levels right now and that is why her fish are dying. Immediate water changes (with water conditioner) need to be done - as stated above.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492