· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Question Long-term Automatic Food Dispenser or Feeder?

0 Not allowed!
    I want to setup a new 10-gallon freshwater aquarium with small fish. Sometimes I go out-of-town for two months at a time, so I need a timed automatic fish feeder that can handle the job.

Can anyone recommend a product that can do this?

Oh and, how many times a day should I feed them?

Thank you for your help.

0 Not allowed!
    Well the longest I've been gone from my tanks is 3 weeks. I use an Eheim 3581 autofeeder. It can hold hold a lot of food flake or pellets, which will last several weeks depending on your feeding routine. Can schedule 1 to 4 feedings a day at whatever times you want.

For 2 months, I really wouldn't recommend having an aquarium though. Too many things can go wrong. If a fish dies it will cause more issues with the water quality and may lead to more fish dying. If you can have someone come by maybe once a week to look at the fish tank, to make sure there are no floaters you should be ok. Also if they can do a water change every week or two that would help greatly.

0 Not allowed!
    I honestly think it'd be a lost cost, you need to do water changes more often than that. While an automatic feeder is possible, none have the capacity of two months

And without a water change you will lose fish, if you lose one the entire tank would go.

Unless you can have someone else care for them while you are gone it appears not realistic to have (it is possible but would involve automatic water changer etc which for a 10g tank is unheard of)

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with the others. Another thing is that evaporation will reduce the tank volume by as much as half or more in that amount of time without top offs, further concentrating the toxins that are building up with no water changes. I have successfully left my tanks for one full month using automatic feeders and light timers, however they were much larger volume and fully planted. I felt that I just got very lucky with them and that any longer would surely have resulted in disaster. As has already been said, one dead fish will cause the entire tank to crash.

Perhaps if you cannot find someone to come to your house to maintain the tank when you go away, you can move the tank to someone's house to care for it. It is not hard to move a 10g.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by korith View Post
    Well the longest I've been gone from my tanks is 3 weeks. I use an Eheim 3581 autofeeder. It can hold hold a lot of food flake or pellets, which will last several weeks depending on your feeding routine. Can schedule 1 to 4 feedings a day at whatever times you want.

For 2 months, I really wouldn't recommend having an aquarium though. Too many things can go wrong. If a fish dies it will cause more issues with the water quality and may lead to more fish dying. If you can have someone come by maybe once a week to look at the fish tank, to make sure there are no floaters you should be ok. Also if they can do a water change every week or two that would help greatly.
    Plus 1 on that.

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the forum

If the tank has a glass top and a canister filtration, evaporation won't be an issue. Tom rapids mini canister is what I have on my 10.

Small dead fish will be consumed in just a couple of days. A small fish dying won't make the tank explode if it's not removed. I've not removed dead fish before - the boned were picked clean by fish/snails. I know I know, I'm a terrible fish keeper. The worst - someone should call the ASPCA ;) Conversely, when my green phantom pleco got stuck and died in a piece of decor in the 125, it did in fact pollute the water and I lost a couple of fish because of it, and would have lost more had I not taken immediate action. So yeah.... 2 inch dead fish - no biggie. 8 inch dead fish - big deal. As with everything in fishkeeping, things are not black and white. It is possible for a dead fish to start a chain reaction, just as it is possible for things to go on without skipping a beat. It's a matter of circumstances, not absolutes.

That all being said, a 10 gallon is not a good candidate for neglect. The only way I can see it working is to put a betta in it and have someone come by and feed it. Water changes - a betta will do fine in a 10 receiving a water change every other month, in my experience. (put down the phone, they're already coming to rescue it from me...)

However, I think a school of robo fish might be a better choice for you.
    125 - big fish - BGK
    125 - cichlid community - cichlids (red severums, chanchitos, bolivian rams, blue acara, chocolate), rainbows (yellow, turquoise, red and boesmani), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis, golden wonder killis
    90 - african community - Congo tetras, african knife, african butterflies, spotted ctenopoma, palmas bichir, african featherfin
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L

7. Question Long-term Automatic Food Dispenser Of Feeder?

0 Not allowed!
    I want to setup a new 10-gallon freshwater aquarium with small fish. Sometimes I go out-of-town for two months at a time, so I need a timed automatic fish feeder that can handle the job.

Can anyone recommend a product that can do this?

Oh and, how many times a day should I feed them?

Thank you for your help.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    you shouldnt double post things just because you might not have liked the answers.
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...r+Of+Feeder%3F
    i think your post here got answered well by the members.

2 moths with out any maintenance is a very long time, with evaporation and climbing nitrates it would be a recipe for disaster. if you want an aquarium and go out for long stretches like that then the only advice i could give you would be to hire some one to watch the tank for you. but that might cost a large sum of money... even if you have a friend/family member you could trust.... the longest i ever go with out a wc is 2 weeks and that in my super low stock high planted tank..... i still like doing them weekely tho
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    LOL

If you are real....
    and you have that travel schedule-then aquariums are not something you can handle right now in your life.
    If your schedule changes, and you can provide proper care, you'll be able to set up a cool tank. Otherwise, every time you leave and come back, you'll have killed all your fish.

0 Not allowed!
    Threads merged.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1