· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Brand new freshwater tank

0 Not allowed!
    I purchased a 20 gallon tank. At the moment I have 2 tetras out of 8. 6 died and I am unsure how.

Testing the pH, Nitrates, Nitrite, and Ammonia, everything seems normal. The other two live happily as ever though so I am assuming chemical wasnt the problem
    Was it just that I introduced too many into the tank at once?

I am on hold right now before I add more fish. I am not satisfied with that gravel I have. I went with a the noob mistake of that tacky blue gravel instead of a black/natural.
    I am waiting for my eco substrate to come in before I completely change that.

My aquarium has been running for about 1.5 weeks now. Again everything reads correctly. Temp range is 76-78.

0 Not allowed!
    what are "normal" or "fine" parameters for you? it would be helpful to know what method of testing you are employing (test strips, liquid test kit, pet store water testing, etc) and what your exact parameters are.
    did you cycle the tank? cycling is the (unknown to most beginners) process of accumulating beneficial bacteria in your tank that metabolize fish waste. unless you got some filter media
    from another established tank, the fact that you have fish in your tank 1.5 weeks (a very short time) after setting it up is indicative that you probably did not cycle the tank. without cycling
    ammonia from fish waste will quickly build up to lethal levels. the reason you did not find a problem with your parameters might be because you have an inaccurate perception of what is fine and what not(again, posting exact parameters would help) or else by the time you tested the tank, most of the fish are gone and so ammonia levels have went down.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to madagascariense reply.
    A tank will not cycle in 10 days unless you have introduced filter media from a cycled tank. Chances are your water parameters didn't even have time to register ammonia levels until you put your stock in and then all went to heck as the fish waste added ammonia to your system and your filter bacteria couldn't change it into nitrate gas because there wasn't enough of them. The fish got poisoned by the ammonia and passed away.
    Now your in a cycle with fish which will require alot of water changes with declorinator to keep them healthy. Did you check out the how to cycle a tank threads in this forum?
    If not check it out.
    I doubt your substrate had a hand in this unless you got it off the side of a railway track like I did my first go around.

Hey dont pack it in, we have all been there and learned to go through it.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    what are "normal" or "fine" parameters for you? it would be helpful to know what method of testing you are employing (test strips, liquid test kit, pet store water testing, etc) and what your exact parameters are.
    did you cycle the tank? cycling is the (unknown to most beginners) process of accumulating beneficial bacteria in your tank that metabolize fish waste. unless you got some filter media
    from another established tank, the fact that you have fish in your tank 1.5 weeks (a very short time) after setting it up is indicative that you probably did not cycle the tank. without cycling
    ammonia from fish waste will quickly build up to lethal levels. the reason you did not find a problem with your parameters might be because you have an inaccurate perception of what is fine and what not(again, posting exact parameters would help) or else by the time you tested the tank, most of the fish are gone and so ammonia levels have went down.
    Hey!

So my pH ran about 7.6, and my nitrate,trite and ammonia were all at 0's are nearly 0. I use an "API master fresh water chemical test kit".
    I also had a Betta fish in the tank previous to the tetras.

Quote Originally Posted by Strider199 View Post
    +1 to madagascariense reply.
    A tank will not cycle in 10 days unless you have introduced filter media from a cycled tank. Chances are your water parameters didn't even have time to register ammonia levels until you put your stock in and then all went to heck as the fish waste added ammonia to your system and your filter bacteria couldn't change it into nitrate gas because there wasn't enough of them. The fish got poisoned by the ammonia and passed away.
    Now your in a cycle with fish which will require alot of water changes with declorinator to keep them healthy. Did you check out the how to cycle a tank threads in this forum?
    If not check it out.
    I doubt your substrate had a hand in this unless you got it off the side of a railway track like I did my first go around.

Hey dont pack it in, we have all been there and learned to go through it.
    I dont plan on quitting, beginners always make mistakes, but it's how you learn.

Hopefully my substrate comes tomorrow. Would you guys recommend me adding plant life first or still waiting? Would it speed upmy cycling process? And being 1.5 weeks into cycling my brother said would be enough. He said the main problem was I introduced too many fish which did the ammonia. If I introduced like 2-3 I would have been fine, which is why that is all that survived.
    I have been putting dechloirinator in as well.

Is there anything else recommended? All I really have atm is fish food, dedchlorinator, and my NO3, NO2, NH3, PH test kit.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Assuming your tank was cycled from the previous inhabitant, I would suspect that you have added too many too quick. You filter would have held only sufficient bacteria to live off the ammonia generated by 1 betta (not a lot), and would take a week or two to grow sufficient to cope with the increased load. Keep testing, add 1 or two fish each time you've had zero ammonia and nitrites for a week, and show a small amount of nitrate (less than 20ppm). The show of nitrate indicates you have bacteria converting ammonia and nitrites. Sorry I dont have planted tanks so cant offer any advice there. Take the time to have a read through some of the older threads here and in the general forum, theres a lot of knowledge there for the taking. Good luck

0 Not allowed!
    You can plant whenever you like in a cycle. At most the plants will cause a slight dip in the nitrates but since cycling is mainly about seeing ammonia and nitrites drop to 0 that's not that important.

Introducing substrate to a tank that's up and running is a major operation. Might want to get it over with ASAP.