· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not seeing the problem. Seems to me the cycle is moving along and you have built up at least enough bacteria to some of the ammonia and nitrites. I don't know about your filter and I am not sure what size your tank is, but if the tank is 100 liters or less the filter is probably fine. I'm not sure where people get the idea that a filter that is too small for the tank won't grow enough bacteria. Bacteria are tiny and the media has plenty of room to grow sufficient amounts to handle the bio-load of the tank, regardless of stock or filter/tank size. What is an issue is if the filter is too small it wont pull all the water from all areas of the tank and you will have dead spots that are not circulating and those dead spots can have ammonia buildup.
    Keep testing daily and doing those water changes.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Liquid, the API Freshwater master test kit. I'll be the first to admit my eyes aren't the best with this stuff.

It was the suddenness of it all that prompted me to test and post my billionth question up. It went from producing quite a large amount of nitrite, to producing none, over the course of a few hours. Cycle was fine one minute and then gone the next as far as I can tell.

Just took another reading, seven hours after my last one this morning. Ammonia is up and nitrite is zero. Not a huge reading of ammonia, but it's certainly there. Done one 50% water change this morning and is now over 0.25ppm six hours later so, build up isn't astronomical - but it's there.

This is pretty definite I suppose? I've somehow lost my cycle? Can't turn up any other information as to what it might be, the only thing I can think of is the Prime. Would love to know how I've managed to screw it up!

Thanks as always.

EDIT: Didn't see Honey Badger's post.

Again it was the suddenness of it all that prompted me to post. Swapped to Prime, suddenly not getting nitrites when I was having to perform three 90% water changes a day to keep them below 0.25.

Good to know that the filter should be up to the job. Pull on the filter isn't great and the tank is kind of decoration heavy. Plastic plants, log and rock - were all bought for when it's eventually converted into a quarantine tank. Wouldn't have thought it'd be too much of a problem with movement though. Got an airstone running on the other side of the tank that appears to move the water around somewhat.
    Last edited by Sligg; 05-16-2013 at 03:10 PM.

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    I don't see anything that you did that would cause the cycle to stop or start over. The only thing to do now is keep testing a couple times a day and water change as needed. It could be what bacteria was grown was lost or it could be that the cycle is progressing, either way the solution is the same, test often and water change accordingly.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    + to honeybadger. stay the course and you'll get there. cycling with fish takes patience. It took me over 3 months to cycle my 30 gal with fish. some tanks just take longer to make the transition and stabilize.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That's fine, as long as nothing I've been doing has caused this and I'm going to wind up in an endless cycle of me screwing it up before completion. Only from the angle that I'm quite aware that my poor loach (Epalzeorhynchos munense) is not the best fish to be cycling with... want to get this over with as quick as possible.

Water changes as per normal. Quite pleased I mistakenly bought that salt water testing kit... won't run out of test solutions during the cycle!

Thanks for the advice as always, you'll have to forgive my incessant flapping.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    not to worry. many of us have been there. cycling with fish does try the patience. you haven't done anything wrong.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I took your advice, continued testing and water changing as I had been. Continued to use the Prime and done exactly as I was doing before.

12 hours after my last water change and I'm getting zero across the board for both nitrites and ammonia. I'm unsure as to what this means and will continue to test throughout the day incase I managed to mess something up again.

Question is, if all the ammonia is being processed, why have I not been getting a nitrite reading? If I had high ammonia before and zero nitrite, wouldn't that have starved the "nitrafying" bacteria due to lack of nitrites?

Also, the Prime states that it detoxifies ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Would this make it so my test kit won't register it properly and is possibly giving me a false reading? Did look this up on the internet but opinions were mixed.

Sorry for the flapping, just want to be sure I'm getting things right. I'd rather ask the question and look like an idiot than leave it and end up nuking the aquarium. Thanks as always!

0 Not allowed!
    If all the ammonia is being processed and you have no nitrites, that isn't bad at all - a cycled tank SHOULD have no nitrites! Unless I'm coming here in the middle of the party and have no clue : )

Sometimes when cycling with fish, you won't get a nitrite "spike" - it will be low and then just drop to 0 which means you are at the end!

What reading do you get for nitrAtes?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't usually test for nitrates as I get a varying level from my tap water constantly due to living in the land of farmers. (Moving over to RO soon!). Other problem is I can't for the life of me read the nitrate tests, I'm not convinced I'd be able to spot a small rise in nitrates that would indicate the cycle is complete. Will give it a go though!

So far the cycle was going normally, ammonia trailed off after two weeks or so into a LOT of nitrite. High nitrite for just over a week and then suddenly over the course of a few hours I "lost" my nitrifying bacteria (or it took a few days off or something?). Wasn't getting any reading for nitrite at all when normally I'd be seeing a ton of the stuff. Instead ammonia began to rise slowly over the past few days. And now that's vanished as well! No ammonia, no nitrite.

Does this mean I can be cautiously optimistic?

On a side note, the loach is happier than ever... I think. Extremely active, eating everything in sight. Just caught him demolishing my once thriving amazonian frog bit... plucking all the roots off and then spitting them out. It's like I never feed him...

0 Not allowed!
    Add your dechlorinator to the tank and then fill it with water. Don't subject your fish or filter to water that has not been treated first. When doing water changes, always make sure you use enough water conditioner to treat the whole tank even if removing only half the water.
    It could be you have finally are reaching the end of your cycle if your nitrites dropped, too.