· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Bloat in BNPs

Awards Showcase

Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA 
    Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED 
    For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

Default Bloat in BNPs

0 Not allowed!
    I lost my BN1 yesterday to bloat and am currently battling it with my BN2. Found this article at bristlenoseworld.com on the subject. I think it is good info for all BNP owners to know.

Subject: BLOAT DESEASE Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:34 am

it seems a few people are suffering from bloat of late so this may be of use

bristlenoses are generally algae "grazers". Their mouth have been adaptedthis way to rasp or scrape algae found on rocks in search of their primary food source. By doing this they pick up all sorts of micro organisms that live in the algae. They are 90% vegetarian. The fact that their digestive track can only digest mostly vegetable matter and dont do well when fed high protein i beleive this is why a lot of hobbyists could suffer with Bloat.

The first signs of “bloat” are usually white stringy faeces, followed by the withdrawal of the affected fish at feeding time. Heavy breathing, clamped fins (usually the pectoral fins being held tightly against the torso) and problems with balance and swaying, seem to preclude the final stage of bloat where the fish literally balloons up and expires. These symptoms usually persist for anywhere from 3 days to 10 days. The bloating is caused by either a protozoan parasite or bacteria which is already present in most digestive tracks. This is why i always worm all my fish and always new additions to my tanks. Once the fish’s immune system is lowered, the parasites bacteria takes hold and multiplys blocking the digestive track and ultimately consuming the internal organs.
    Once your fish has bloated it is usually too late to save them. Worst of all Bloat seems to be contagious. Other fish in your tank can contract bloat though sifting and eating waste left to rot in the substrate. That is why it is so important to watch your fish eat at meal time. bristlenose are manic eaters and if for some reason one fish isn’t eating or is hanging near the bottom. Something is definitely wrong.
    The dreaded Bloat can be induced by a number of factors including, stress, poor water conditions, OVERFEEDING and in most cases feeding the wrong type of food. ie high protein avoid foods that contain a high protein level, anything meat based or warm blooded animal by-products. A good quality spirulina flake diet alge waffers and fresh washed veg and weekly water changes of at least 30% can go a long way to prevent illness in your tank of bristlenose.
    Many medications exist for bloat, some more harmful than others to your fish and your tank setup. For starters a large water change is recommended before treating the entire tank. It’s quite likely that poor water conditions are the cause once you’ve eliminated diet
    ive gone through most meds trying to treat bloat keeping tropheus is part and parcel with this disease. the only med i found to do the trick if caught at an early stage is octazin. some people say epson salts work on this disease. but if find epson salts does nothing for this disease and does more harm than good imo.

The Top tips for keeping bristlenoses
    good water is a must
    Feed mostly a vegetive diet.
    Remove all decaying waste when you do your weekly water changes using a water vacuum or python .25% to 30% per week minimum.
    make sure you're bristlenoses have proper bog wood at all times this helps with the digestive system.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Regular Fin Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    good information. thanks for posting. I hope your other little guy can fight this off.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA 
    Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED 
    For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    I lost my BN1 yesterday to bloat and am currently battling it with my BN2. Found this article at bristlenoseworld.com on the subject. I think it is good info for all BNP owners to know.

Subject: BLOAT DESEASE Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:34 am

it seems a few people are suffering from bloat of late so this may be of use

bristlenoses are generally algae "grazers". Their mouth have been adaptedthis way to rasp or scrape algae found on rocks in search of their primary food source. By doing this they pick up all sorts of micro organisms that live in the algae. They are 90% vegetarian. The fact that their digestive track can only digest mostly vegetable matter and dont do well when fed high protein i beleive this is why a lot of hobbyists could suffer with Bloat.

The first signs of “bloat” are usually white stringy faeces, followed by the withdrawal of the affected fish at feeding time. Heavy breathing, clamped fins (usually the pectoral fins being held tightly against the torso) and problems with balance and swaying, seem to preclude the final stage of bloat where the fish literally balloons up and expires. These symptoms usually persist for anywhere from 3 days to 10 days. The bloating is caused by either a protozoan parasite or bacteria which is already present in most digestive tracks. This is why i always worm all my fish and always new additions to my tanks. Once the fish’s immune system is lowered, the parasites bacteria takes hold and multiplys blocking the digestive track and ultimately consuming the internal organs.
    Once your fish has bloated it is usually too late to save them. Worst of all Bloat seems to be contagious. Other fish in your tank can contract bloat though sifting and eating waste left to rot in the substrate. That is why it is so important to watch your fish eat at meal time. bristlenose are manic eaters and if for some reason one fish isn’t eating or is hanging near the bottom. Something is definitely wrong.
    The dreaded Bloat can be induced by a number of factors including, stress, poor water conditions, OVERFEEDING and in most cases feeding the wrong type of food. ie high protein avoid foods that contain a high protein level, anything meat based or warm blooded animal by-products. A good quality spirulina flake diet alge waffers and fresh washed veg and weekly water changes of at least 30% can go a long way to prevent illness in your tank of bristlenose.
    Many medications exist for bloat, some more harmful than others to your fish and your tank setup. For starters a large water change is recommended before treating the entire tank. It’s quite likely that poor water conditions are the cause once you’ve eliminated diet
    ive gone through most meds trying to treat bloat keeping tropheus is part and parcel with this disease. the only med i found to do the trick if caught at an early stage is octazin. some people say epson salts work on this disease. but if find epson salts does nothing for this disease and does more harm than good imo.

The Top tips for keeping bristlenoses
    good water is a must
    Feed mostly a vegetive diet.
    Remove all decaying waste when you do your weekly water changes using a water vacuum or python .25% to 30% per week minimum.
    make sure you're bristlenoses have proper bog wood at all times this helps with the digestive system.
    I probably should mention that this article was posted to bristlenoseworld by deano. They have is posted as a sticky.
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Regular Fin Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You must know your species. A site such as planet catfish will help you to identify the species you have and it will give advice on diet. Not all bristlenose are algae grazers, some require small shrimp, larvae and other animal protein. Mouth shape can help to identify diet in many cases to those who have experience with the fish.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Indian Woods Angels View Post
    You must know your species. A site such as planet catfish will help you to identify the species you have and it will give advice on diet. Not all bristlenose are algae grazers, some require small shrimp, larvae and other animal protein. Mouth shape can help to identify diet in many cases to those who have experience with the fish.
    Thanks, IWA, good idea to check first. My BNs are Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus and are vegetarians.