· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie 
    .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    Additionally (sorry for multiposting) - I have found used pool pomps but they rate somewhere close to 40-60 g/m not hour... Much less expensive and it could work if I made some maze limmiting flow... buuut that seems excessive. Any thoughts on these?
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    I know it may seem excessive, but it’s all about the math. You lose about 100 gph (on average) for each foot of height. Based on for rows of tanks, that would put the top row at a approx height of 5 feet adding the requirement for a additional 500 gph (minimum) in addition to the 2000 gph you need to get about 5X flow in each of the 20 tanks. Add another 50 gph loss for 5 elbows and you are now at a minimum of 2750 gph.

That is why I had originally suggested a pump that would handle up to 3,500 gph to allow for some loss of flow once the pump gets a little wear and tear on it

Perhaps if you have a pretty good LFS near you with a display set-up similar to what you are going for, you could see the set-up for yourself and you could get some pretty good ideas that you would know for a fact that they would work. I have always liked that approach best.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Instead of 1 50% water change, you could just do a few more... but as for doing a rubbermaid tote, you could build a lumber frame around it to support it, and just use plexi glass for baffles inside.

Not sure how big those totes come, I know I have a fairly large one at home, but my guess would only be like 75g. My sump plan is to have like a 90g or 75g for roughly 200g of water.
    The Dirty 75
    11 Parva Rainbow, 2 Platies, 14 Sterbai, 4 Calico BN Pleco
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie 
    .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    I know it may seem excessive, but it’s all about the math. You lose about 100 gph (on average) for each foot of height. Based on for rows of tanks, that would put the top row at a approx height of 5 feet adding the requirement for a additional 500 gph (minimum) in addition to the 2000 gph you need to get about 5X flow in each of the 20 tanks. Add another 50 gph loss for 5 elbows and you are now at a minimum of 2750 gph.

That is why I had originally suggested a pump that would handle up to 3,500 gph to allow for some loss of flow once the pump gets a little wear and tear on it

Perhaps if you have a pretty good LFS near you with a display set-up similar to what you are going for, you could see the set-up for yourself and you could get some pretty good ideas that you would know for a fact that they would work. I have always liked that approach best.
    See thats also what I did but didnt like it because they were massivly underpowered based on the forum. And these were salt water guys. They were running 500 gallons on a 1500 gph pump through a sump the size of a 20gal tank with a wet dry but it didnt have the height mine does. Still it was underpowered. Now for elbows, dont count 5. Count 2. One from the pump up, then from the up line over the tanks. The other elbows will be the overflow stems so they dont count in the equation. Again the thought, with water changes happening 3-4x a week (every other day) would there still be a need for the 5x flow? I should err on the side of "of course!" i know but my brain just needs to ask.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    Instead of 1 50% water change, you could just do a few more... but as for doing a rubbermaid tote, you could build a lumber frame around it to support it, and just use plexi glass for baffles inside.

Not sure how big those totes come, I know I have a fairly large one at home, but my guess would only be like 75g. My sump plan is to have like a 90g or 75g for roughly 200g of water.
    Im not planning 1 50% weekly... im planning it 3-4x a week. These are discus housings and for fry and mated pairs as well as appisto's and gbrs.

The plywood idea is valid, in fact I could just build a plywood tank sealed and custom drill it to fit the housings... hmm...

0 Not allowed!
    Yea I looked into a plywood sump, for my application it wasn't cost effective. In your particular situation I could see it very very effective if its within your budget

A 200g sump would have to be 6' long, 2' tall and 2.5' wide... not sure what sort of space requirements you have, but you can build you suite your needs. Then put a bulkhead just off the bottom of it and you could do 200g at once.

Plus by having a custom lid on it, you would save on evap etc. Would need to dose about 20ml of prime per PWC, which wouldn't be bad. But a 3/4 feed line will take awhile to fill the tank I'd think. Might be a good idea to run 1 hot line, 1 cold line each with 2 valves (one for temp control, the other for on/off)

How you could make that work would be have the one set to control the flow to match the temp you like after water mixes, then just make sure you open the on/off valve 100%
    Last edited by Triton; 05-15-2013 at 09:29 PM.
    The Dirty 75
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Food for thought... hmm.. I have 5ftx2ft approximately taking off a few inches to makes sure an easy fit. The height i will have to remeasure and see. Then an easy plumbing job on a plywood tank.

Return lines would be a hot/cold mix in a laundry sink for refill so that isnt going to be a major issue to match temps. And when I dose prime I dose the filter so that when new water hits im 100% sure the chlorine is gone but amnt isnt an issue.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    PLUMBING.JPG

So I took some time an drew up the stand in paint. Let me know what you think?

0 Not allowed!
    In general I think it will work. I'd have the inlet for each tank on the opposite side as the outlet (create a flow through the tank)

But as a general plan I think i'd work. Kinda like we drew up for mine
    The Dirty 75
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

0 Not allowed!
    I've read a lot of mixed opinions about designs like that. Some people have the opinion that it is not the best to have the dirty water flowing down through the tanks and that it is a better approach to have each tank hooked up into ta drain line that goes directly into a sump.

I can't say for certain either way as I have not set-up anything like this before, but I thought I would mention it to see if you have considered or found such concerns. That is just based on information that I have read tho.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]