· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    That is my understanding as well. Pima and mela are find to use on bettas as long as you don't overdose. I've used both on bettas in the past without issue.
    Hey T. :o) I've read a lot on pima and mela use with bettas. there really is a lot of conflicting info out there on it and many posts on other forums where people swear it killed their betta and others who swear it doesn't hurt them. so yeah. debate.:o) from personal experience, I've seen the oil slick on top of the water so it scares me to use it. there is a product called Bettafix that is along the same line that i would be more inclined to use. Maybe it's half strength of pima and mela??
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, I have read that bettafix is a diluted formula for use in the tiny tanks.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

0 Not allowed!
    I think bettafix is half strength mela. Oil slick? Huh. I've never seen either pima or mela do that, but I'm not doubting that it did happen in your case. I always keep the surface water level at or above the lip of the return flow on my AC filters so the water surface is always in motion. I've just never seen any slick formation when using Pima or Mela in the past.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    I think bettafix is half strength mela. Oil slick? Huh. I've never seen either pima or mela do that, but I'm not doubting that it did happen in your case. I always keep the surface water level at or above the lip of the return flow on my AC filters so the water surface is always in motion. I've just never seen any slick formation when using Pima or Mela in the past.
    I know. It was really odd. And it stuck around after a few water changes. That's what led me to do more research on the use of the medication. I keep my water level at the same as yours. always a little movement on the top but not enough to upset mr Betta :o)
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
    Yes, I have read that bettafix is a diluted formula for use in the tiny tanks.
    That would make sense jaysee. I gotta tell you I've used melafix full strength on bettas and never had an issue. No slicks. If anything, the water seems clearer and a bit heavier with melafix. That's why I keep the surface agitation up, but like fishmmomie says, not enough to rock the betta. I've pretty much kept crowntail females though and they don't have any issues with swimming in light current.

0 Not allowed!
    I too have used it with no issue, but in a 10 gallon tank.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    hey all, thanks for the healthy debate. i can confirm bettafix is just half strength melafix. i just use a half dose of melafix on a betta if needed. same thing. do have to be careful with dosage. i have never even seen the slightest stress exhibited by a betta being medicated with the stuff.

tea tree OIL is the main ingredient in both. it's just very diluted. i could see a slick developing with no surface agitation, but i have never seen it because i always have a stone going full blast. my betta tanks are big enough (5.5g) to not cause a current.

UPDATE: on the parasite issue. i had two choices - petsmart, who only had API general cure or the local shop of horrors (LFS in jersey city) that had OLD, DUSTY, and IMPLODED bottles of prazipro. i opted for the fresh API general cure because it had the same active ingredient. i am IMPRESSED (so far). after an hour of treatment, my betta is already beginning to pass white stuff and is not stressed at all. about 96 hours to go until both doses are through, but the first hour is looking great. hopefully the end result is a healthy betta again.

thanks again
    20gal: 18 neon tetra, ghost shrimp
    5.5gal: 5 glolight tetra
    5.5gal: royal blue/purple butterfly rose tail betta

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by xdanxnjx View Post

tea tree OIL is the main ingredient in both.

thanks again
    Fact check. The active ingredient in Pimafix is Pimenta racemosa.

API's General Cure is pretty good stuff because it has both prazi and metro in it as active ingredients.

0 Not allowed!
    Be weary. Full dose of Melafix will make your Betta go nuts. I was dosing half doses in my 20gal Betta tank and without thinking, accidentally dosed the full amount on one of the days. It affected him almost immediately. He started swimming erratically and with haste, I did two pwcs. lol
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I never use a full dose of those two products Mela pima fixes. I use a 25% dose of full strength each when combined and only a 50% dose max when used alone. They work good but you can OD the fish too easy at full dosages.