· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Post Combating Hydra in Shrimp Tank with Fenbendazole

0 Not allowed!
    After getting some advice from this forum and other sources regarding my hydra infestation in my 10 gallon home made tank, which sadly claimed the life of one of my reddest berried females I decided to take drastic action and use the Fenbendazole method to get rid of these beasts.
    I have decided to document the treatment and share it in the hope that I may obtain further advice and help those in similar circumstances to mine.
    I do not not intend this post to be a guide and it should not be followed as one. I am new to the shrimp hobby and this is just a documentation of my situation.

1368630213071.jpg
    My home made tank with a DIY sponge filter, a U1 fluval filtera single 14 watt T8 light, 25watt thermostat, stick on thermometer, fluval stratum shrimp substrate and dwarf hair grass, anubias congensis and marimo moss balls for vegetation.

20130515_150845.jpg
    I used a 1 gram sachet of Panacur worming granules which contains 222mg of Fenbendazole. I used this because it was cheap (0.53), was enough to complete a treatment and I have found positive reviews which found using this product to fight hydra quite successful for example: http://www.planetinverts.com/killing...and_hydra.html

20130515_150817.jpg
    1 gram of fenbendazole, ground to fine powder, added to 200ml of tank water and shaken. Administered with a 10ml syringe.

For the dose I chose to use 0.05g in 10ml per 10 gallon. The most common dose I found in my internet searches was 0.1g in 10ml per 10 gallon however there was mixed reviews on this dosage, some reported no shrimp deaths at all, others reported minor shrimp fatalities and there were even reports of a total wipe out of the colony. That's why I decided to half the dosage in order to reduce the risk to the shrimp. I also found that it was common to dose every 12 hours for a total of 3-5 doses without water changes in between, this meant that the concentration in a 10 gallon tank would be 0.3g-0.5g and I suspect that this high concentration may be behind the mixed fatality rates. Therefore during my treatment the first dose will be 0.05g in 10ml and then after 12 hours I will do a 25% water change which will theoretically bring the total concentration down to 0.0375g, i will then dose 2.5ml of the fenbendazole solution to bring the total concentration back to 0.05g. I aim to keep this level after every water change to ensure a low risk to the shrimp but a consistent dosage level to kill of the hydra.

20130515_150752.jpg
    I found reports that dosing with Fenbendazole kills nerite snails and as these are particularly helpful in keeping my tank clean, they have been taken out to ensure their survival.

As my filters do not have a compartment for carbon to be added get rid of the remaining fenbendazole once the treatment is completed, I bought the cheapest carbon cartridge i could find, extracted the carbon and placed in some material and sewed it together. After i have finished the treatment I plan to place this behind the outflow in my U1 fluval filter to extract the fenbendazole and after week I will remove this, replace it with a new one and place the snails back into the tank.
    20130515_154129.jpg
    I hope to update this thread during the treatment and after to ensure full documentation. Any advice will be much appreciated and thank you for taking the time to read this. :)

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    After the first dose at 1:45pm on 15/5/2013 after 30 minutes the hydra began to become limp and instead of manipulating their tentacle movement it has become dictated by the small current in the tank made by the U1 filter. I can't post a picture of this as my camera is not of sufficient quality to zoom in and take an unblurred photograph so here is a picture of my shrimp instead :)
    20130515_150718.jpg

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The hydra are dead. I use a very small amount of Fenbendazole impregnated flake and feed it to BBS. It does not kill the artemia at this tiny dosage. I then feed the artemia to the hydra. It wipes out the hydra.

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aiden123 View Post
    After getting some advice from this forum and other sources regarding my hydra infestation in my 10 gallon home made tank, which sadly claimed the life of one of my reddest berried females I decided to take drastic action and use the Fenbendazole method to get rid of these beasts.
    I have decided to document the treatment and share it in the hope that I may obtain further advice and help those in similar circumstances to mine.
    I do not not intend this post to be a guide and it should not be followed as one. I am new to the shrimp hobby and this is just a documentation of my situation.

1368630213071.jpg
    My home made tank with a DIY sponge filter, a U1 fluval filtera single 14 watt T8 light, 25watt thermostat, stick on thermometer, fluval stratum shrimp substrate and dwarf hair grass, anubias congensis and marimo moss balls for vegetation.

20130515_150845.jpg
    I used a 1 gram sachet of Panacur worming granules which contains 222mg of Fenbendazole. I used this because it was cheap (0.53), was enough to complete a treatment and I have found positive reviews which found using this product to fight hydra quite successful for example: http://www.planetinverts.com/killing...and_hydra.html

20130515_150817.jpg
    1 gram of fenbendazole, ground to fine powder, added to 200ml of tank water and shaken. Administered with a 10ml syringe.

For the dose I chose to use 0.05g in 10ml per 10 gallon. The most common dose I found in my internet searches was 0.1g in 10ml per 10 gallon however there was mixed reviews on this dosage, some reported no shrimp deaths at all, others reported minor shrimp fatalities and there were even reports of a total wipe out of the colony. That's why I decided to half the dosage in order to reduce the risk to the shrimp. I also found that it was common to dose every 12 hours for a total of 3-5 doses without water changes in between, this meant that the concentration in a 10 gallon tank would be 0.3g-0.5g and I suspect that this high concentration may be behind the mixed fatality rates. Therefore during my treatment the first dose will be 0.05g in 10ml and then after 12 hours I will do a 25% water change which will theoretically bring the total concentration down to 0.0375g, i will then dose 2.5ml of the fenbendazole solution to bring the total concentration back to 0.05g. I aim to keep this level after every water change to ensure a low risk to the shrimp but a consistent dosage level to kill of the hydra.

20130515_150752.jpg
    I found reports that dosing with Fenbendazole kills nerite snails and as these are particularly helpful in keeping my tank clean, they have been taken out to ensure their survival.

As my filters do not have a compartment for carbon to be added get rid of the remaining fenbendazole once the treatment is completed, I bought the cheapest carbon cartridge i could find, extracted the carbon and placed in some material and sewed it together. After i have finished the treatment I plan to place this behind the outflow in my U1 fluval filter to extract the fenbendazole and after week I will remove this, replace it with a new one and place the snails back into the tank.
    20130515_154129.jpg
    I hope to update this thread during the treatment and after to ensure full documentation. Any advice will be much appreciated and thank you for taking the time to read this. :)
    Sounds like you are doing all you can to rid yourself of this pest...how does one become infested with hydra in the first place?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I believe in my case it was due to a combination of inexperience with the hobby, not washing the plants sufficiently and overfeeding. Everything was fine for the first 3 weeks but then I had to leave the tank in the care of my parents for 2 weeks as I had to be at university for my exams. When I came back there was a massive infestation of the hydra and at first I thought they were quite interesting as I they are related to jellyfish with stinging tentacles.
    My first attempt to get rid of them was to lower the water level and scrape them off the underside of the anubias congensis leaves which was where most of the hydra seemed to be. At first this seemed succesful but after two days I had a massive infestation again
    Hopefully the fenbendazole treatment will be 100% successful and then I can concentrate on preventative measures to ensure they don't come back..

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    An update on the hydra. 3 hours after first dose the small specimens have retracted their tentacles and some have even fell to the substrate, the larger ones are still limp. No obvious signs of the shrimp being affected.

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aiden123 View Post
    I believe in my case it was due to a combination of inexperience with the hobby, not washing the plants sufficiently and overfeeding. Everything was fine for the first 3 weeks but then I had to leave the tank in the care of my parents for 2 weeks as I had to be at university for my exams. When I came back there was a massive infestation of the hydra and at first I thought they were quite interesting as I they are related to jellyfish with stinging tentacles.
    My first attempt to get rid of them was to lower the water level and scrape them off the underside of the anubias congensis leaves which was where most of the hydra seemed to be. At first this seemed succesful but after two days I had a massive infestation again
    Hopefully the fenbendazole treatment will be 100% successful and then I can concentrate on preventative measures to ensure they don't come back..
    I see, very interesting even if they have caused you these problems/losses....I'm sure you will handle the situation prudently and swiftly...your last post sounds very promising
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks hopefully they will be gone soon. I still find them quite interesting but as they are in a tank where I purposely breed red cherry shrimp I cant take any more risks.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    update: 8:55pm 25% water change and dose back up to 0.05 concentration. Hardly any movement from the hydras, they are just about lifeless and shrimp have tried picking at them. Only change in shrimp behavior is that they are a little in active however tank light went off at 8pm and they usually calm down when the light is off.
    My parents will be taking over care of the shrimp tank for around two weeks as I am off back to university tonight for more exams. I will be leaving them instructions and they will keep me updated on any news from the treatment which I will relay to here.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Update 10:00pm 16/5/2013

One last hydra hanging on. 25% water change and another dose at 2.5ml, should hopefully be the last dose and can put carbon in filter tomorrow to get rid of the left over fenbendazole to make it safe for my snails :)