· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Help with plants and finding fish species.

0 Not allowed!
    Fish:
    In my 55g, finding fish has been a huge issue for me, and I want to get over with finding my last fish. My future stocking is 2 pearl gourami, 5 zebra loach, 5 madagascan rainbowfish, 1 starlight BN, and 5-10 of something else. I recently considered the red eye tetra, but after reading about these and someone telling me in person about one eating a fish similar in size, I'm kinda backing away. I was thinking of 5 boesemani rainbows, but I don't beleive they would appreciate a tank of 48 inches long as much as my other fish do. I'm thinking 8 rosy barbs, or maybe a type of tetra that gets 3 inches. Congo tetras are off the list of options due to them being $18 each, which is a little too much right now. I really like how the color of the rosy barbs at my PetsMart is(Pure red and not dyed). I have also mantianed the temperature at what my fish require, as well as the PH and frequent water changes. Am I making the right choice by saying no to boesemani rainbows or are they fine in 48 inches? Also are there any other types of barbs rosy barbs will school with?

Plants:
    The tank product I purchased is TopFin, and I am currently using the standard light it comes with. Some of the plants are starting to turn yellow(particularly amazon swords), then rot and die. This hasnt happened to many, but I want to stop it before it continues. I am thinking my light isn't strong enough because only the higher plants are doing well and the bottom parts aren't doing well. I read that the deeper the tank,the more light required and due to my tank being 20-22 inches deep, its probably the light. Should I buy bulbs of a specific kind or get LED lights? On the bulbs there a bunch of diffirent kinds, some say plants, color, daylight, ect... I heard tat LED lights are better, but my tank supposedly comes with them and they aren't proving to be good.
    Last edited by Loller; 05-14-2013 at 11:39 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Loller View Post
    I recently considered the red eye tetra, but after reading about these and someone telling me in person about one eating a fish similar in size, I'm kinda backing away. Um... No This is utter piffle [Though they will eat mosquito larvae like popcorn lol]. If you want red eyes.. Get a nice sized group of them.
    Plants:
    The tank product I purchased is TopFin, and I am currently using the standard light it comes with. Some of the plants are starting to turn yellow(particularly amazon swords), then rot and die. This hasnt happened to many, but I want to stop it before it continues. I am thinking my light isn't strong enough because only the higher plants are doing well and the bottom parts aren't doing well. I read that the deeper the tank,the more light required and due to my tank being 20-22 inches deep, its probably the light. Should I buy bulbs of a specific kind or get LED lights? On the bulbs there a bunch of diffirent kinds, some say plants, color, daylight, ect... I heard tat LED lights are better, but my tank supposedly comes with them and they aren't proving to be good.
    I cannot offer advice on rainbows but as far as the barbs 'schooling'.. You should know that schooling is a defense mechanism for fish - It is something they do when threatened/stressed. It is not something they do when relaxed and comfortable ... Just a heads up on that.

How long have your plants been in situ? Plant acclimation often involves melting away and regrowth. Either way.. You are correct about the need for a lighting improvement. I would suggest something along the lines of a 6700K [Temp], 108W two bulb T5 fixture [2x54 watts] as an upgrade to your stock lighting.

Here is an in depth - but WORTH reading article that will fill you in on what is important wrt aquarium lighting [You will have more questions when you are done ;-P but we will be here for that.]:
    http://www.americanaquariumproducts...._lighting.html - Digest in small chunks :-)

EDIT: Wait... Are you adjusting your pH? If so - From what to what?
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 05-15-2013 at 04:09 AM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I haven't yet adjusted it, and it is 7.5. I am considering to lower it to 7.0 for my fish's sake. I have decided rosy barb since they get to a considerable size to get along with the loaches(My loaches can get quite aggressive around feeding time).

When I got all of my plants, they were in perfect condition. They were even thriving in a plant tank that the people working said "Not even this has enough light". I will start to work on getting a new light so my plants will grow in order for my fish to feel more comfort.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 7.6pH and extremely happy fish.

pH swings are quick ways to kill your stock.
    either acclimate a fish ONCE to your pH or forever change your water to keep a consistent pH.
    your call...

Plants adjust, just like fish do. you took them from another set up with different parameters, different light, different nutrients. so it'll take them time to get used to what you have and either survive based on what you have, or not.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzoutank View Post
    I have a 7.6pH and extremely happy fish.

pH swings are quick ways to kill your stock.
    either acclimate a fish ONCE to your pH or forever change your water to keep a consistent pH.
    your call.
    +1 & I have the same pH [... That phrase sounds familiar miz ]

Don't mess with your pH.

Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    How long have your plants been in situ?
    When I got all of my plants, they were in perfect condition.
    Naturally.. However that doesn't answer the question; Which was - 'How long have you had them?'
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    A little more than a month now.