· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Question regarding fertilizers and nitrates too.

0 Not allowed!
    Has anyone used all pupose fert tabs from Aquarium Plants.com? I was given a free bottle due to a delay in shipping, along with a bottle of Iron tabs. Also are the Iron tabs good to use? I have about 10 Amazon Swords, 5 Jungle Vals, 2 Java Plants, and 3 Corkscrew Vals. And does using ferts increase your Nitrate levels any?
    Thanks all who reply,
    Ghpr13
    Simba 1994-2013 RIP

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    I have only used Seachem products with my fresh water plants so I can not comment on the brand you are getting. But as far as nitrates go, I have noticed that any tank I have had with live plants in it, that tank has always had higher nitrate levels then a tank without live plants. And yes I have always used tabs and or liquid ferts when I have live plants. I just got used to doing more frequent waterchanges. Every week for sure and sometimes twice a week. Liquid Test kits rock.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

0 Not allowed!
    That's interesting, I'm often struggling to pick up any nitrates.

Most fertilizer mixes sold now are devoid of nitrates and phosphates which is why some seriously planted tanks can run low on those.

0 Not allowed!
    I think the effects on your nitrates can really depend on the ferts and dosage you are using. Most people just take the recommended dosing instructions off the bottle and start with that. The potential problem with that is you could be dosing more than what your tank needs which can increase your nutrient level (including nitrates) in your set-up. I have recently started using ferts (which also includes a nitrate based fert) in my tank and I started using 1/4 of the recommended dose for 3 weeks so I can see the effects. I'm now up to 3/4 dose which seams to be the right amount for my tank as my plants are now looking better and growing fast yet my nitrate level stays around 5ppm.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    That fits in with my own observations. What's printed on the bottle seems to be aimed at maximizing sales.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you all. Your replies were very helpful.
    Ghpr13
    Simba 1994-2013 RIP

Awards Showcase

lets see if you cann see this - William another test - William hope this works - William hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 
    Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 
    Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    I have used the Aquarium plants pellets and they seemed rather effective in caring for my plants.

Your swords will probably love the iron!

One thing to note is they are smaller than the Seachem pellets (which are about gumdrop size) and are more like large pill size. They are also softer in that they will start dissolving quickly once they are in water. That's not a bad thing, just a heads up in case you are used to say holding 2-3 in your hand that is doing the shoving them underwater... probably best to go one at a time.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    After reading your reply Cliff I think I know why my trates were a little high. I use a little more then the instructions say. I'll cut it back to 50% and see where it goes.
    Thanks! I learned something today. :)
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.