· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by calebtrueblue View Post
    I'm going to slightly disagree on the need for plywood in this situation. It's more useful for stands that sit on 4 points. With the stand you have, the weight is already evenly distributed over the floor. As stated, the most important thing is making sure the tank is perpendicular to the joists.
    You're right, but we hadn't seen the photo. Having said that, given that you have water movement when you move past the tank, maybe its not such a bad idea to spread the load a bit more and maybe pick up a couple more joists

Awards Showcase

Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah 
    Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 
    Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Tank and stand look great. Please start a journal (with photos) when you start your aquascaping and stocking.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Adding more joists may be a bit difficult. The basement is finished with a Sheetrock ceiling

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think the above poster was talking about putting down an oversized piece of plywood to distribute the load to another joist, not physically adding one. That might help but might not look the best. If you could figure out where your joists are in the floor, you can at least make sure your positioned in a way that you are picking up the most. Hopefully, they are spaced 16" apart. With a 48" tank, that means you could either be picking up 4 joists or 3, depending on where the tank is sitting. If you can remove a floor vent, or even a ceiling vent or recessed light in the basement, you might find a joist. A studfinder might work as well. Once you find one, measure 16" on center (presuming thats your joist spacing) and set the tank up so you are sitting on 4 joists. 4 joists should easily carry the weight of your tank long as you aren't sitting a piano or refridgerator next to it.