· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Beginner- setting up first tank

0 Not allowed!
    I am setting up a 55 gallon tank. will be on a first floor with hardwood flooring with a basement underneath. I don't believe it is over the joists. Generally speaking, do I need to be concerned with the weight of the tank when filled on the flooring I described?

Since I bought the tank used I am filling it with water to make sure it doesn't leak. I did notice that when I walk by the tank the water moves a bit in the tank. Is this normal? Tank is about 60% full right now

thanks for your help

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I might be a bit concerned if the weight of the tank is not well supported. Can you check in the basement to see what the support looks like beneath it? you're looking at almost 450 pounds just in the water. That doesn't count the tank and the stand and the weight of the substrate etc.

Also - were it me, I'd fill the tank outside in the garage or on the sidewalk to see if it holds water - just in case it does spring a leak....
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    if you are not sitting on joists, and it moves when you walk past it may be a good idea to spread the load a bit - ie a sheet of ply or a pad of ply under each leg

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    we have a finished basement so I am unable to see exactly what is underneath the flooring. It probably was dumb to test for leaks in our family room. In any event, the tank is full, I was planning in leaving it as a test for about 48 hours, no leaks thus far :) @Dennis, I am not sure what the plywood would do. Water is not moving as much now that the tank is full

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    I really researched this, as I'm in a big double wide mobile home with questionable floors to carry the weight of my 75 gal (about 900 lbs). Depending on how thick your flooring is, it might be possible to locate your floor joists with a stud finder. If possible, you should place the tank perpendicular to the floor joists - the tank will weigh about 625 lbs when fully set-up. With what you have stated re the water moving (it should not move at all), you should add at least 3/4 inch thick plywood to cover the tank footprint under the stand (I added 1 1/2 inches, as my stand legs are not directly over the joists), with each tank leg placed over a joist if possible. The 55 is a 4 foot tank, so whether your floor joists are on 16 or 24 inch centers, you can have the plywood start at one joist and end at another. Then you can place the tank where needed on the plywood. Even if you beef up the floor, it's very risky to place the tank parallel to the joists.
    Last edited by gronlaura; 05-14-2013 at 10:53 PM.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    what advantage does the plywood offer? So I can get a sheet of plywood 4' x 18" and put the stand on the plywood.

Awards Showcase

Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 
    Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 10,000 posts is worth a monetary donation - well almost :o) congrats - fishmommie For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx 
    Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2life View Post
    what advantage does the plywood offer? So I can get a sheet of plywood 4' x 18" and put the stand on the plywood.
    The sheet of ply will help distribute the weight
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    IMG_1736.JPG

All sections of the stand are touching the floor. Also, I needed two shims on the right end of the stand and had to push them all the way under the stand. With all sections of the stand touching the floor would I still need the plywood and if so, how thick should it be?

thanks for the help

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    the plywood strengthens your floor and helps distribute the weight. mine is screwed through the flooring into the floor joists so it has become a part of the floor
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm going to slightly disagree on the need for plywood in this situation. It's more useful for stands that sit on 4 points. With the stand you have, the weight is already evenly distributed over the floor. As stated, the most important thing is making sure the tank is perpendicular to the joists.