· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for starting this thread Mizzou. I really appreciate the info here as I finally took the plunge and planted my 5 gallon betta tank. I know. VERY small scale but it's a start for me and I hope to eventually switch over my 30 gal which is only partially planted and look at introducing live plants to my 90.
    I used black flourite and planted an annubis, dwarf baby tears and microswords. hope to add something taller near the back wall eventually. I need a new bulb but so far have had difficulty finding one small enough that will provide the right light source for the plants but not encourage a lot of algae growth.
    in any event - I'll continue following this thread so thanks everyone for all you excellent input.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Fishmommie, by planting the annubis do you mean attaching to rock/driftwood or planting it in the substrate?
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    In my old 29g, I used Flourite mixed in with my substrate, flourish excel, and got some of the plant based lighting blubs.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Limming View Post
    Fishmommie, by planting the annubis do you mean attaching to rock/driftwood or planting it in the substrate?
    I planted it in the substrate but kept the rhizome above the substrate and just buried the roots.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    I'd happily share my set up but would that be of any use? All of the products I use are not available on the US market.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The second half of my questions were never answered: Has anyone used all pupose fert tabs from Aquarium Plants.com? I was given a free bottle due to a delay in shipping, along with a bottle of Iron tabs. Again, are the Iron tabs good to use? Does using ferts increase your Nitrate levels any?
    Thanks all who reply,
    Ghpr13
    Simba 1994-2013 RIP

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    I'd happily share my set up but would that be of any use? All of the products I use are not available on the US market.
    Love to hear it! always good to learn from others, even if the products aren't available, the methodology can be applied.

@Ghpr13...you'll get more success starting your own thread regarding your questions. they aren't really related to this thread on low tech set ups.
    your question is too loaded and would derail this thread.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzoutank View Post

@Ghpr13...you'll get more success starting your own thread regarding your questions. they aren't really related to this thread on low tech set ups.
    your question is too loaded and would derail this thread.
    Will do. Thank you.
    Ghpr13
    Simba 1994-2013 RIP

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    My tank is a low maintenance tank with Red Root Floaters(Which aren't doing well for some reason), Water Sprite, and Cryptocorynes. For my tank I have a single 15 watt 18,000K Aqua-glo bulb. I also dose Flourish once every friday and use root tabs for my water sprite. The growth is great, with dosing my watersprites send out new stems every couple of days, the crypts are less than a week old and came with no leaves, each plant no has 3 or more large leaves. Common Brown Algae is an issue, but by shortening the time my lights are on and by having Nerite snails( and in a week Otos) the algae is controlled.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzoutank View Post
    Love to hear it! always good to learn from others, even if the products aren't available, the methodology can be applied.

OK.

I've got twin t5 28 watt tubes on water that's about 16.5 inches deep. On the bottom there's pool filter sand. Under the biggest plants I've used JBL 7+13 clay pellets. Which are apparently made out of clay loaded with goodness including 6% iron. And, as we all know echinodorus love iron.

Fast forward 2 months. Some parts of the planted areas showed slow growth, those got a few dried rabbit droppings burried at least an inch deep under them (love planting tweezers for that!). I was also seeing iron deficiency so I resorted to another old trick and buried a small bit of rusted iron quite deep under the sand. Next I started tweaking to find a balance between stable growth and not too much algae. Eventually I got that with 2ml of easycarbo per day and 5ml of profito, an all in one fertilizer, twice a week.
    About 6 weeks ago I got some heavy green spot on the glass. Bought some KH2PO4 (after being horrified by the prices they charge for ready mixed products), dissolved a bit in water and am now dosing about 2ppm a week.

Everything is ticking over nicely now. Pruning is a regular event, no obvious signs of deficiencies. Algae is limited to a little BBA on some high light/low flow areas. I'm happy with this.