· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Think my 15 day cycle is done and thinking fish

0 Not allowed!
    I have since bought an API Freshwater Master kit and graduated up from the test strips. one day ago I did about a 25-30 percent water change because (all these water parameters are from the API kit) my nitrates were about 120. After water change, for two consecutive days, they are 5 ppm. Ammo is 0 and nitrites are 0. I know 15 days is short for a cycle, but I'm thinking the cycle's finished and it fish time. Other points of view please ?

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by uihawk9868 View Post
    I have since bought an API Freshwater Master kit and graduated up from the test strips. one day ago I did about a 25-30 percent water change because (all these water parameters are from the API kit) my nitrates were about 120. After water change, for two consecutive days, they are 5 ppm. Ammo is 0 and nitrites are 0. I know 15 days is short for a cycle, but I'm thinking the cycle's finished and it fish time. Other points of view please ?
    Did you cycle with or without fish?

Size of tank?

Filtration?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    You can always test it to verify if your cycle is done or not

Assuming you were doing a fishless cycle, Just dose you ammonia level up to 1ppm. If the ammonia and nitrites are both at 0ppm and your nitrates have increased after 24 hours, you should be ready to start slowly adding fish (after another big water change)
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    A little 20 gallon long tank. Aqua clear 50, I think HOB, I deliberately over filtered it.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    fish less. household ammonia.

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    You can always test it to verify if your cycle is done or not

Assuming you were doing a fishless cycle, Just dose you ammonia level up to 1ppm. If the ammonia and nitrites are both at 0ppm and your nitrates have increased after 24 hours, you should be ready to start slowly adding fish (after another big water change)
    ++ to the above^^....BE CERTAIN ammonia and nitrite are at 0, and the key word for beginning to add fish is "SLOWLY" while you continue to check your water parameters daily...

0 Not allowed!
    A little 20 gallon long tank. Aqua clear 50, I think HOB, I deliberately over filtered it.
    Good choice on a filter for a 20 long. Cliff's advice is solid as usual!
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So, as of this morning, ammo, nitrites and nitrates were all 0. I am doing this fishless, with household ammo. I added about 1 ppm ammo. this morning. I am going to test it after 24 hours and if the ammonia has been neutralized and the nitrites and nitrates should have also have been neutralized to 0, that should mean it is completely cycled. Do what a 25-30 percent water change and slowly add fish ? Am I understanding correctly ?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    So, as of this morning, ammo, nitrites and nitrates were all 0. I am doing this fishless, with household ammo. I added about 1 ppm ammo. this morning. I am going to test it after 24 hours and if the ammonia has been neutralized and the nitrites and nitrates should have also have been neutralized to 0, that should mean it is completely cycled. Do what a 25-30 percent water change and slowly add fish ? Am I understanding correctly ?
    sounds good to me, once you are certain ammonia and 'trite are 0...just a few fish at a time, checking your parameters daily still for the time being

0 Not allowed!
    Only your ammonia and nitrites should be at zero. You should see a little increase in your nitrates. That would mean you are finished cycling. I would change as much water as possible before adding your fish.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]