· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default 1 Sick fish and 1 wounded fish. Any advice one how to help them get better?

0 Not allowed!
    I do have a couple of specific questions for each of my poor fishies, but any general advice would also be appreciated. I'm very new to keeping aquaria and am always willing to learn something new!

My sick fish is a Dalmation Lyretail Molly that developed what looked like a fuzzy spot on his lip about two weeks ago. That cleared up after a couple of days, but then he started looking like he was having troubles with his swim bladder (tipping upside down, not swimming very easily). In any case, the question isn't about diagnosis... I have him in a 2.5 gallon hospital tank by himself, but right now he's literally just laying on the bottom of the tank breathing. He can swim a tiny bit, and does so occasionally, but he's not eating from what I can see at all

Question #1: I don't feel like I should be dumping food into the tank that he's not eating, but I also don't know if starving him is a good idea. I can't tell if he's eating any portion of the food that I give him. Advice? Should I be putting in any food at all?

The second "sick" fish is my largest female guppy. I noticed a wound on her side a few days ago... I thought I might have smashed her into a decoration while doing a water change, but then another appeared on her back. I sat down to watch for a while and discovered one of the male guppies was harassing her constantly and actually biting at her wounds. I removed that male from the tank and it doesn't look like any of the other fish are bothering her (that male's either getting taken to petco or sacrificed to my friend's saltwater tank). In any case, the female's wounds started to look a little... fuzzy. Not like fungus fuzz, but kind of standing out from her side and looking whitish. I can't tell if they're infected or if that's just what they look like when they're healing. I have a set of photos here.

So my question #2 is: I have only the 2.5 gallon hospital tank and a 5 gallon fry raising tank (the main tank is a 10 gallon). Currently the jerk male is in with the fry. I know it's usually better to separate the injured fish from the others, but I don't know if it would be a good idea to put her in the 2.5 with the sick Molly (I imagine whatever he has would infect an injured fish much easier). So advice on that would be great, but also what kind of treatment I could try giving to her and if it'd be worth putting it in the big tank? I don't want to stress the other fish with the treatment.

I should mention, in my main tank (10 gallons), I have a total of 6 guppies (two male, now, and 4 females), a small albino plecostimus, and two ghost shrimp. It uses a whisper PF10 filter, airstone, and is planted.

Sorry for the wall of text, any advice would be appreciated!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krispyz View Post
    My sick fish is a Dalmation Lyretail Molly that developed what looked like a fuzzy spot on his lip about two weeks ago. That cleared up after a couple of days, but then he started looking like he was having troubles with his swim bladder (tipping upside down, not swimming very easily). In any case, the question isn't about diagnosis... I have him in a 2.5 gallon hospital tank by himself, but right now he's literally just laying on the bottom of the tank breathing. He can swim a tiny bit, and does so occasionally, but he's not eating from what I can see at all
    If this is the same tank as you are asking about in your (water changes when using bacteria) then your molly most likely is dying from ammonia poisoning as your ammonia readings are extremely high. sorry. don't dump in more food. you must do daily water changes in your QT - 75% at least to keep the ammonia down in that little tank

Question #1: I don't feel like I should be dumping food into the tank that he's not eating, but I also don't know if starving him is a good idea. I can't tell if he's eating any portion of the food that I give him. Advice? Should I be putting in any food at all?

The second "sick" fish is my largest female guppy. I noticed a wound on her side a few days ago... I thought I might have smashed her into a decoration while doing a water change, but then another appeared on her back. I sat down to watch for a while and discovered one of the male guppies was harassing her constantly and actually biting at her wounds. I removed that male from the tank and it doesn't look like any of the other fish are bothering her (that male's either getting taken to petco or sacrificed to my friend's saltwater tank). In any case, the female's wounds started to look a little... fuzzy. Not like fungus fuzz, but kind of standing out from her side and looking whitish. I can't tell if they're infected or if that's just what they look like when they're healing. I have a set of photos here.
    Again, water change, water change, water change. If it seems like i'm hounding you, I'm sorry but water quality is the most important thing you can do for your fish right now - especially since your tank isn't yet cycled.

So my question #2 is: I have only the 2.5 gallon hospital tank and a 5 gallon fry raising tank (the main tank is a 10 gallon). Currently the jerk male is in with the fry. I know it's usually better to separate the injured fish from the others, but I don't know if it would be a good idea to put her in the 2.5 with the sick Molly (I imagine whatever he has would infect an injured fish much easier). So advice on that would be great, but also what kind of treatment I could try giving to her and if it'd be worth putting it in the big tank? I don't want to stress the other fish with the treatment.
    water change??

I should mention, in my main tank (10 gallons), I have a total of 6 guppies (two male, now, and 4 females), a small albino plecostimus, and two ghost shrimp. It uses a whisper PF10 filter, airstone, and is planted.
    If your whisper 10 is rated for a 10 gallon tank, I would highly recommend adding another identical filter. most here suggest double the filtration. it might also help you get your tank cycled faster so your fish will not continue to get sick.

Sorry for the wall of text, any advice would be appreciated!
    again - good luck and others may have more suggestions.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    +1 with fishmommie's advice - I already responded to your other post - apparently there is some fear or lack of knowledge about cycling a tank and changing the water - when a fish appears ill or develops something unusual...or acts not normal...change the water - like at least 50% of it - twice a day if you need to.

Fish love clean water and your need to keep your ammonia level down just enough to grow bacteria in your filter.

I'm assuming that the 2.5gal has no filter on it or an uncycled one. You should also really get rid of that pleco - it is really not appropriate for a 10gal tank and produces a lot of waste.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The QT tank doesn't have the ammonia problems that the main tank does! I got substrate from a friend's already cycled tank and am using that in the filter of the QT tank, so ammonia levels are staying down.

The female tank is in the main tank that is not cycled, so I can see why that would be a problem there.

I guess I'm confused because when I was doing 20% water changes twice a week, some people (including some of the petco workers) were telling me that I was doing water changes too often and that I'd destroyed the cycle because of that. Were they just full of shit? Will the tank cycle even with big water changes?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The QT tank doesn't have the ammonia problems that the main tank does! I got substrate from a friend's already cycled tank and am using that in the filter of the QT tank, so ammonia levels are staying down.
    There will be very little BB in substrate. If you friend has some media (like fully colonized floss from his filter or a piece of a sponge from his filter, THEN you would have a cycled QT. See if you can get some of either from him. if not, you need t o change the water in the QT daily because a small tank like that can go south really fast!

The female tank is in the main tank that is not cycled, so I can see why that would be a problem there.

I guess I'm confused because when I was doing 20% water changes twice a week, some people (including some of the petco workers) were telling me that I was doing water changes too often and that I'd destroyed the cycle because of that. Were they just full of shit? Pretty much, yes LOLWill the tank cycle even with big water changes?
    Your beneficial bacteria grows in your filter and filter media and some in the substrate but not much. BB does NOT grow in the water so you can change 100% of the water daily even in a cycled tank and not disrupt the BB
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    Your beneficial bacteria grows in your filter and filter media and some in the substrate but not much. BB does NOT grow in the water so you can change 100% of the water daily even in a cycled tank and not disrupt the BB
    Okay, thank you! Does this mean I shouldn't "vaccuum" the substrate when I'm siphoning water out? I usually do that to pick up poop and extra food (still trying to dial in how much food they all eat).

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, thank you! Does this mean I shouldn't "vaccuum" the substrate when I'm siphoning water out? I usually do that to pick up poop and extra food (still trying to dial in how much food they all eat).
    I wouldn't vac the 10 gal while you're cycling but I would vac the QT that tank should have a bare bottom and be pristine.

As for food: keep this in mind: fish can go for days - sometimes weeks without food because their metabolism is very slow. good rule of thumb is to add a small pinch of flakes to the top of the water. if it's not gone in 1 and 1/2 to 2 minutes, then you've fed too much. While you're cycling I'd only feed once a day and very lightly. you might even skip feeding every other day until the tank is cycled. you're fish will not starve :o) They'll just act like they are lol

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You've been so helpful, thank you so much! I will reduce the amount I feed them and will not vaccuum the main tank until it is cycled!

I may be back with more questions, but I'm hoping I'm on the right track with all of these problems! Thanks again!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You've been so helpful, thank you so much! I will reduce the amount I feed them and will not vaccuum the main tank until it is cycled!

I may be back with more questions, but I'm hoping I'm on the right track with all of these problems! Thanks again!
    I think you're definitely on the right track. Just remember - WATER CHANGES LOL
    Seriously - water changes alone can solve the majority of fish issues.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Keep vacuuming.

Do water changes.

Both of those keep your water clean, which is the biggest treatment you can give for either. There are a number of chamicals, like some antifungals, that may come up later... but right now your best bet is clean water.

How are the ghost shrimp? Every fiber of my being says they cook before the molly would shows signs of ammonia poisoning. Was the Molly in the 10 gallon? Is the Molly old... the last fish of a previous molly setup? The platy/molly/sword stock has been a bit weak... 10 years ago the Molly would have been the last fish standing (swimming?), under normal circumstances.

The second filter is a good suggestion, especially if you keep the pleco. Even better is finding a new home for the pleco with the second filter. I do not always concur with the filtration "requirements" cited here, a second filter is always a good option for a lot of different reasons.
    Looks about 40 Gallon Tank
    Betta, Buenos Aires Tetra, Neon Tetra, Harlequin Rasbora, and Otocinclus
    Wisteria, Amazon Sword, Java Fern, and my unstoppable Trumpet Snail Army

Looks about 75 Gallon Tank
    Wet and Empty; thinking Scalare, Corydoras, Otocinclus