· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Confused about CO2 Diffuser and Air Stones

0 Not allowed!
    Hello Everyone! I have just gotten into freshwater and am reading up about equipment. I came across CO2 diffusers and airstones. I understand that CO2 diffusers are for plants and air stones are for oxygen in the water, but could you use them at the same time? I'm very confused about this. Thanks, Michael

Awards Showcase

Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 
    Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 
    Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    You really don't need an airstone (bubbler) if your filtration provides adequate movement (oxygenation) of the water...but I don't think there is a problem using them together, if that's what you mean
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Not so sure what you mean. If you mean using an air stone and a co2 diffuser simultaneously, then yes you can, no harm is done but nothing is achieved either because all your co2 gasses out of the water into the air due to the air stone. In tanks with co2 dosing, the surface of the water is generally kept still to avoid co2 gassing out. In such a system plants provide the oxygen, not surface agitation.

If you mean using a diffuser as an air stone or an air stone as a diffuser, then that probably will not work well. Co2 diffusers have really fine pores to produce really small bubbles that can dissolve fully on its way up towards the surface. However, the pressure needed to create these fine bubbles is high and an air pump for oxygenation will fail to push air through. An air stone has larger pores and thus the bubbles produced are larger. If hooked up to a co2 system, the bubbles are so large that most of the co2 gas still will not have dissolved by the time the bubble has reached the surface. Air stones are also not equipped to handle acidic conditions caused by co2 and will eventually fall apart if used as a diffuser.