Aquarium Forum
 


Menu
  · Tropical Fish Home
· Fish News
· Aquarium Forum
· Buy & Sell
· Calculators
· Equipment reviews
· Free Aquarium Ebook
· Feedback
· Link to us
· Photo gallery
· Plant species
· Tropica Plant DB
Tropical fish species
· By Common name
· By Scientific name
Tropical Marine fish
· By Common name
· By Scientific name

_________________
 
      
        Via paypal

  AC news is a part of
      Nature Blog Network

      Reef Aquarium Blog

Privacy & Ad Policy

Articles
  · African Cichlids
· Algae Control
· Aquarium Decoration
· Aquarium Resources
· Aquatic Plants
· Barb Fish
· Betta Fish
· Breeding Fish
· Catfish
· Central American Cichlids
· Cichlids
· Clownfish
· Corals
· Corydoras Catfish
· Discus Fish
· Dwarf Cichlids
· Fish Diseases
· Frogs and Turtles
· Goby Fish
· Goldfish
· Gourami
· Invertebrates
· Jellyfish
· Killiefish
· Lake Victoria Cichlids
· Livebearers
· Malawi Cichlids
· Marine Aquariums
· Marine Aquarium Fish
· Other Fish
· Pleco
· Predatory Fish
· Photography
· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23
  1. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    It's beginning to seem like Petco workers DON'T actually know what they're talking about...

  2. #12

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Wrong on the albino bristlenose pleco. They grow to be 4" long. The ratings for filters are taken without any media (floss or sponge in your case). By the time filter media is added, the flow rates usually drop in half so eventually you will need another filter or replace the one you have for a bigger one. Just take some used media from your current filter and add it to the new filter to jump start the bacterial colony in the new filter. But I wouldn't change out or add another filter until your tank is completely cycled.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

    "This ain't rocket science!"

  3. #13

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krispyz View Post
    It's beginning to seem like Petco workers DON'T actually know what they're talking about...
    Depends on the worker, some are very knowledgeable and some are not. It depends a great deal on whether they have their own tank or not.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

    "This ain't rocket science!"

  4. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    Depends on the worker, some are very knowledgeable and some are not. It depends a great deal on whether they have their own tank or not.
    Haha, the trouble is that the ones who aren't sure as hell sound like they are to someone who's still new to all this! It's just very hard being new to this. There is so much information out there (some of it good, some of it bad) and it's hard for me to distinguish which is which.

    But I wouldn't change out or add another filter until your tank is completely cycled.
    Is there any particular reason why I wouldn't want to add another filter? Just because there won't be much growth in it?

    I would actually prefer keeping one filter and just upgrading to a 20g rated one. Do you guys suggest waiting until after the tank has cycled before doing that?

    Sorry for having so many questions. I think you're wrong Taurus... this does seem like rocket science!

  5. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krispyz View Post
    Is there any particular reason why I wouldn't want to add another filter? Just because there won't be much growth in it?
    It would be good to get one filter cycled then add another but for sure, don't change it out because then you loose all the headway you've made

    I would actually prefer keeping one filter and just upgrading to a 20g rated one. Do you guys suggest waiting until after the tank has cycled before doing that?
    Your choice but it's a good idea to have 2 filters. In the even one fails then you have a back up running until you can get a replacement for the dead filter

    Sorry for having so many questions. I think you're wrong Taurus... this does seem like rocket science!
    it gets easier. Honest :o) I was a nob just like you not that long ago - then i found this forum. AC is great as it not only teaches it supports and turns you into a fishkeeper without prejudice because everyone volunteers their time here. there's no commerce involved as in a fish store - which is why beginners often end up with chemicals etc you don't need and why so many fish die at the advice of inept clerks. don't get me wrong - there are a lot of great people out there working at petco and petsmart and indy stores - but sometimes that isn't the case :o).
    Last edited by fishmommie; 05-13-2013 at 04:11 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

  6. #16

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    +++ to the above from fishmommie
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

  7. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    Your choice but it's a good idea to have 2 filters. In the even one fails then you have a back up running until you can get a replacement for the dead filter.
    Hey, I was looking at filters on Amazon to add a second one to my 10 gallon. I was looking at in-tank filters since my lid only has a cut out for one over the side filter. I noticed that the 20-40 gallon filter is only a dollar more than the 10-20 gallon filter.

    I know the 10-20 would be more than enough, but is there a point where a filter's too powerful for a particular size tank? I was thinking it'd be convenient because I could eventually switch to just using the 20-40 gallon (long after the tank is cycled, of course).

  8. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Since you already have an airpump, why not get a sponge filter? It provides more biofiltration than the whisper.

    http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Bioch..._petsupplies_7

    http://www.amazon.com/Jardin-Aquariu..._petsupplies_1

  9. #19

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    Since you already have an airpump, why not get a sponge filter? It provides more biofiltration than the whisper.

    http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Bioch..._petsupplies_7

    http://www.amazon.com/Jardin-Aquariu..._petsupplies_1
    Hey Rocksor, how do those sponge filters work?...they hook up to air pumps, then what?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

  10. #20

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    Since you already have an airpump, why not get a sponge filter? It provides more biofiltration than the whisper.
    Great idea and cheaper than buying another internal or external filter.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

    "This ain't rocket science!"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •