· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Cleaning of tank post major die off help

0 Not allowed!
    I posted in the live breeder thread about my mollies and a major die off. I have at least two fish still alive. I would like to save them if possible (they don't seem sick, yet) and my tank is dirty and everything needs to be sanitized. I have two smaller tanks that I probably should clean out and mix up some fresh water and put the remaining live fish in...

Anyways. I suspect one of the culprits being fish TB so I would like to know how to get rid of the water, dead fish and clean and sanitize everything safely without killing the live fish and without spreading it (I live next to a lake). I also suspect that my two Fiddler Crabs died of fish TB somehow or maybe something totally different for all I know (the female had brown spots on her legs that weren't there before and the male had a dark circular cavity-like hole in his large claw).

0 Not allowed!
    How large is your tank that had the die off? Why is it dirty? Is there a lot of algae on the walls - rotting food from excess feeding?
    I apologize for not answering your question but when someone posts that they had a lot of fish die, we always ask a lot of questions 1st - how long were these fish in your tank before they started dying?
    How many were there in there total?
    Was your tank cycled 1st
    and how often did you change your water?
    How much water at a time?
    What kind of filter is on the tank?
    What temp do you keep the water?
    How often were you feeding your fish?

Before you think you need to sanitize your tank, we need to look first at the above questions - it IS possible there was fish TB, but without photos and an accurate diagnosis, it could be inadequate tank keeping in general with stressed out fish.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to imma24, all very important questions.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    10 gallon, 4 mollies, 3 bottom feeders and one fry in the "baby" tank (2.5 gal).

I had a couple in first for a couple of weeks, healthy, fine, eating. Then added two and the bottom feeders (mistake number one, I take it instead of putting the new ones into isolation first. All post fiddler crab die off (I also had two mollies in the deep end when I had the fiddler crabs -- about half the tank water, half land -- water had filter -- in tank, in water).

Tank was cycled for a couple of days, probably should have done it longer (added more water to the already there water and mollies, mistake number 2 I take it?).

I would change the water once a week, about 1/4 post fiddler crabs (full 10 gallon tank).

The temp is always about 72.

I would feed them once a day, mixed it up with flakes, frozen krill, veggies and algae tablets (not all at once -- like flakes and a tablet one day, fish out remainder of tablet -- frozen krill & veggies, fish out the remaining veggies (like lettuce, rinsed well)).

After a week or so having the new fish, one of the first fish started to have swim bladder problems (going vertical) and later died. Another later died with a really big belly, but wasn't pregnant (like how puffer fish are when they get freaked out, that kind of puffy). One started darting, hit the side of the tank and sink and sit there, later starting to curve and had trouble sitting up like a normal fish (would fall to a side, struggle to stay up). Another started sitting at the bottom, holding fins in and as time went on, struggled to swim and began to contort (s shape).

All three bottom feeders have had no problems, yet. Also the fry has had no problem, yet.

I didn't want to change the water in case it was TB because I didn't know what to do with the water. I live next to a lake so I can't just toss it outside. I flushed some dead fish, not realizing it could potentially cause a problem later. I have a hospital tank soaking in bleach water as well as the net because I put one of the fish that died in there (post flush). So I plan on putting the remaining fish in the smaller tank temporarily so I can get the 10 gallon clean as well as everything else (gravel, rocks, etc).
    Last edited by newbie235; 05-13-2013 at 04:45 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by newbie235 View Post
    Tank was cycled for a couple of days Your tank is only cycled if your water parameters read 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrites & 20 or less nitrates - cycling does NOT mean running your tank for a few days with no fish in it (if that's what you thought), probably should have done it longer (added more water to the already there water and mollies, mistake number 2 I take it?). cycling does NOT happen in the WATER - bacteria grows in the FILTER

I would change the water once a week, about 1/4 post fiddler crabs (full 10 gallon tank) - Once you read about the cycling process with fish in the tank, you will see that changing water once a week isn't necessarily going to do the job - sometimes it has to be done several times a week to keep ammonia down.

The temp is always about 72 - This is too cold for tropical fish - they prefer a temp between 76-80.

I would feed them once a day, mixed it up with flakes, frozen krill, veggies and algae tablets (not all at once -- like flakes and a tablet one day, fish out remainder of tablet -- frozen krill & veggies, fish out the remaining veggies (like lettuce, rinsed well)). - good to get variety, but fish do not need to be fed daily and it's important to not overfeed

All three bottom feeders have had no problems, yet. Also the fry has had no problem, yet.

I didn't want to change the water in case it was TB because I didn't know what to do with the water. - Yes, you mentioned that already - I doubt you had fish TB - sounds like an overstocked tank (meaning too many fish) and it hasn't cycled yet I live next to a lake so I can't just toss it outside. I flushed some dead fish, not realizing it could potentially cause a problem later. I have a hospital tank soaking in bleach water as well as the net because I put one of the fish that died in there (post flush). So I plan on putting the remaining fish in the smaller tank temporarily so I can get the 10 gallon clean as well as everything else (gravel, rocks, etc).
    What you need to do, as already mentioned, is to get rid of your pleco - get a liquid test kit and read about CYCLING! Plus, it's important to keep your water clean via water changes (like 50% of the water in the tank at a time).
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in