· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quarratine Tank

1. Default Quarratine Tank

0 Not allowed!
    When a quarratine tank is set up , and there is no fish in it should there be water changes done every week, and should it be kept on , when there is no fish

Default Quarratine Tank

0 Not allowed!
    Mine are set up and running 24/7. Other people only set it up when they need it. My quarantine tanks can be empty for months at a time - I do a water change before I go get new fish. If you only want to set it up when you need it, then you can just run your QT filter on your main tank. Or, you can just have a piece of filter media stashed in your main tanks filter, that you just transfer to the quarantine tank filter when you need it. It would be good to have a second piece of QT media available to replace what you remove, that way if you run into a problem, you can have another seeded piece to move for next time, or for any other emergency for that matter.
    Last edited by jaysee; 05-13-2013 at 12:32 AM.
    125 - big fish - BGK
    125 - cichlid community - cichlids (red severums, chanchitos, bolivian rams, blue acara, chocolate), rainbows (yellow, turquoise, red and boesmani), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis, golden wonder killis
    90 - african community - Congo tetras, african knife, african butterflies, spotted ctenopoma, palmas bichir, african featherfin
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    if there is no fish in the QT make sure you are feeding it ammonia other wise you will kill the cycle and having it set up would be as bad as not having one at all.

i for one am a fan of running a few extra bags of bio media in my AC's in my 55g tank. when i want to set up a qt i just snag a bag like jaysee said and im ready to go. after the QT i drop the bio media into a cup of boiling water to kill off anything on it and then add it back to my AC in the 55g
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by genocidex View Post
    if there is no fish in the QT make sure you are feeding it ammonia other wise you will kill the cycle and having it set up would be as bad as not having one at all.
    My quarantine tanks can be empty for months - I do not ever feed the tanks. I do have a some trumpet snails in each tank. have left a filter turned off and full of water for several weeks and not lost the cycle. According to things I've read, and my own experience with the matter, the bacteria seems to go dormant in the absence of a food source.
    125 - big fish - BGK
    125 - cichlid community - cichlids (red severums, chanchitos, bolivian rams, blue acara, chocolate), rainbows (yellow, turquoise, red and boesmani), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis, golden wonder killis
    90 - african community - Congo tetras, african knife, african butterflies, spotted ctenopoma, palmas bichir, african featherfin
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L

5. Default Two Questions

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by genocidex View Post

i for one am a fan of running a few extra bags of bio media in my AC's in my 55g tank. when i want to set up a qt i just snag a bag like jaysee said and im ready to go. after the QT i drop the bio media into a cup of boiling water to kill off anything on it and then add it back to my AC in the 55g
    how do feed it ammonia, and whats AC ?

0 Not allowed!
    One feeds a tank ammonia by dosing it with pure ammonia. AC is short for AquaClear - the filter. It also is short for Activated Carbon, and also Aquatic Community ;)
    125 - big fish - BGK
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by faolteam View Post
    When a quarratine tank is set up , and there is no fish in it should there be water changes done every week, and should it be kept on , when there is no fish
    If I have no need for my QT tanks [55 and 29] to be set up... They sit empty.

The cycled filter runs happily on another [stocked] tank to keep its bacterial colony alive because without a source of food .. they die.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Timeframe is important. I've only left them empty for a few months at a time - I'm sure there IS a point at which they cease functioning in a practical way, but I have not left them empty for long enough for that to happen. Do they die? Do they just go dormant? I've heard/read both.

In either case, the bacteria is quite resilient. After all, it takes fish several months to starve to death.... I don't know why people think the bacteria will starve to death in such short order (I've heard people say as short as a week). In most cases, even if there is no waste in the tank, there is waste trapped in the filter that will continue to break down and feed the bacteria colony long after there are no fish in the tank. Maybe that's why my bacteria colonies don't die - because I don't clean the filter media until I have to, versus cleaning it just to clean it

In any event, as with many things in fish keeping, it's probably a matter of circumstances. What is true for one may not be for another, because of circumstances. One can listen to other people's opinions and experiences on the matter all day and all night, but the only way to know what is true for your situation is to find out for yourself.

The specifics may be a bit unclear as to how or why, but it's very easy to test this if one were inclined to do so. I think everyone ought to test their "limitations" - it's the only way to really learn what you can and can't do, which in turn provides you with a much better understanding of how things work. I think that's one of the big problems on these forums - too many people just repeat what they hear and read and don't find things out for themselves. There are few things that are more annoying than someone telling you that you can't do something when you've done it and they haven't even tried.

Didn't mean for that to turn into a rant, and it was not directed at anyone in particular.
    125 - big fish - BGK
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L

Default The plural of anecdote is not data. :-P

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
    Timeframe is important. ... Snip.
    Exactly.. Which is why I would suggest that if people experiment somewhere other than their [Required to function at a moments notice in case of injury or illness] QT tank with the life expectancy of their BB colony.

Quick question: I am curious how do you completely clean/sanitize your QT if it's always running?
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goes to 11! View Post

Quick question: I am curious how do you completely clean/sanitize your QT if it's always running?
    I don't. I've never sanitized anything.
    125 - big fish - BGK
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L