· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Question Nitrate Reading Major Confusion HLP

0 Not allowed!
    I have a overstocked african cichlid 5ft 110g aquarium filtered by a Fluval Fx5 and a AC110 and a UV light pump. Fx5 is filled to the max with bio max only and sponges and the Ac110 has filter floss and chemipure elite. Now afte that my maintenance is like this 2 25-30g partial water changes a week totaling 50-60g changed weekly. Ive noticed this before but never really concerned it but now that i cant seem to put a eye on why my nitrates never seem to be lower than 40ppm i have this question do i have a faulty test but heres the thing its not just one test its also my test from my old kit that does the same thing. Now here is a picture of what im talking about.

On the left is the test shook up regularly not doing too much and on the right is the test shook up vigorously and as you can see the right is off the charts . I dont know what to believe because i do too many frequent water changes and recently did major maintenance on my filters and disturbed the sand bed and re arranged rocks. Im used to shaking vigorously because of the ammonia test is a little thicker and yea. So from you guys what do you think it is ? and how can i get accurate readings ?
    110g All Male Peacock/Hap Tank

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So you are saying that you shook bottle number 2 vigorously.?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    So you are saying that you shook bottle number 2 vigorously.?
    I shake both bottles. The way i test is i shake bottle one add the drops then close the cap to the test tube mix it a bit then i shake bottle two before adding it then after i shake the test tube with both solutions in it. The left side is a reult in doing that casually and the right side is a result in doing that vigorously.
    110g All Male Peacock/Hap Tank

4. Smile

0 Not allowed!
    You do not shake B#1. Put 10 drops in vial and invert a couple of times.

You shake B#2 for 30sec's before putting 10 drops in vial. Then shake tube for 60sec's (1 minute ). Let set for 1 minute and read your test. API is the testing outfit I use and it works well. Good luck...

0 Not allowed!
    have you ever tested your tap water(or wherever you source your water for water changes) for nitrates?
    sometimes tap water can already contain nitrates. or else you may have shaken bottle #2 too little when it was full
    leading to large amounts of the little "beads"(idk what they actually are)accumulating in the remaining test fluid so that now you
    are getting inflated readings.

Awards Showcase

I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass 
    this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl 
    for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Charlie View Post
    Let set for 1 minute and read your test. API is the testing outfit I use and it works well. Good luck...
    You wait 5 minutes before reading the test.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Do a really big water change like 75% or over, and test your nitrates 2 hours later. If you nitrates aren't closer to 20ppm, then there may be something wrong with your test kit.