· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ripped Fins!

Hybrid View

Default Ripped Fins!

0 Not allowed!
    Earlier I asked my friend (through PM) for help with my betta ripping up his fins. Here's the conversation:

***Beginning of Messages***
    ME: My new betta was pretty young when I got him, and his fins grew really fast, now he tries to play and whips his fins so hard that he keeps ripping them. His tail fin has ripped farther than its grown!

I thought it was just finrot at first, but even with aquarium salt treatment he keeps ripping them up! Someone on yahoo answers said that they will heal in time, but I don't think my betta is going to wait for that before he de-fins himself. He had really gorgeous deep blue fins and now he resembles the dragon-fin betta more than a deltatail!

Do you have any ideas? He's acting happy, but if he does get the actual finrot it won't have far to go before its body rot. He's literally missing two chunks out of his tail!

I'm sorry to bother you with this, but I'm drawing a blank as to help him heal! He even smacks himself in the head with his fins sometimes!

FRIEND: im sorry to hear that, sounds like something in the tank is stressing him out. is he solo? you might want to start a thread here and get the betta experts opinions

ME: He is solo. He has a habit of whipping his fins whenever I look his direction... My brother has a female that behaves the same way, only her fins are a lot shorter and don't rip.

He gets more hyper at feeding time, I have an alarm set and he knows that it's time to eat when he hears it. I used to have a betta hammock in his tank but removed it so that he couldn't hurt himself on it, but he keeps ripping his fins anyway...
    ***End of messages***

Someone on yahoo dubbed this behavior as the betta playing a game of "Whip It" and damaging his own fins. All of the decor in his tank is smooth and there's only a fake silk plant and a "betta log" anyways. He didn't have any trouble while his fins were still shorter, but as they grew, they started getting tattered! I've been treating him for finrot with aquarium salt for a week now (maybe a week and a half) but he keeps whipping around and damaging his own tail.

I want to put him in a larger tank (he's currently in a 1gal so I can treat his fins and because he was small when I got him) but I have to wait until next month to afford one.

Here's a pic of what he has done to himself in the past 72 hours:

SAM_0364.jpg
    Observer of: Shy Zoro the ghost shrimp, 13 neon tetras whom we cannot tell apart, one Gold Mystery Snail named Blaze (cuz he'd win any race), a delta tail blue betta male (Train), female betta (named Missy), a bristle nose Pleco (Play), as well as 3 cats, and a school of dogs.

0 Not allowed!
    bettas are known to damage their fins when bored. this could be the case if he is living in a relatively small tank with
    sparse decorations. a larger tank with more "stuff to do" and peaceful tankmates that are entertaining to watch might distract him from his own appendages.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above that does look like a TINY tank for him? you might want to look into at least a 5.5g for him with a heater and more plants, caves for him. even if you get a small tub to put him in until you can get a tank, i think you can get rubber made tubs for a few bucks. it will also be darker in there to calm him down a bit, no reflections ect. granted you wont be able to see him from the side but it should work until you can afford a better tank. also look at CL for free 10g tanks those are usually common might even be lucky enough to find one with heater and filter.

good news is it doesnt look any thing like fin rot at all. keep the water quality up and try to get him a bigger space and im sure he will be fine.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    IDK if he would even need tankmates, just a bigger space with fun stuff to do will probably help a lot. He looks like he will be a pretty big guy, at least with the large fins, and he needs a bit of room to stretch and move about. While I don't think every betta needs a 5 gallon tank (2.5 is usually the minimum I'd say is OK), this one probably needs every inch of a 5g or even a 10. When bettas are neurotic or very active, you need to give them space, lots of fun things in thier tank, and, very importantly, consistently...don't move things around too much in the beginning...see if he likes his new house and then start to experiment. Don't add tankmates yet. He may actually be territorial...I would caution that to anyone with a betta who has a habit like fin splitting or overactivity.

I have a very neurotic betta, Mr. Sassypants (stupid name, I know). His trigger is any change in his 10g tank. One change and bam, he's swimming the back glass, injuring his side and refusing to eat much. These crazy ones can be exhausting to figure out what sets them off and exactly how they injure themselves, but once you know, you can cope pretty well.

Good luck! He's beautiful!
    Beth
    1 - 55 gallon planted community
    3 - 10 to 20 gallon planted betta tanks
    My advice: slow down, think, and be willing to learn. Then you'll be fine, no matter what.

0 Not allowed!
    To: bethyMT

Thanks! He looked even better when his fins were still in one piece... As for silly names, he has been dubbed "Soul Train" ("Train" for short).

I'm saving all ideas and advice to a wordpad document, I'm sure I'll need every bit of it with this little guy!
    Last edited by fjolliff; 05-13-2013 at 02:36 AM.
    Observer of: Shy Zoro the ghost shrimp, 13 neon tetras whom we cannot tell apart, one Gold Mystery Snail named Blaze (cuz he'd win any race), a delta tail blue betta male (Train), female betta (named Missy), a bristle nose Pleco (Play), as well as 3 cats, and a school of dogs.

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you! I'll weasel the 5 gal that my sister hasn't filled yet from her. I had a whole bunch of stuff for him, I had planned on switching it out every once in a while, but he just got too big for his tank I think. Based on what you guys have been saying.

I wonder if you recognize who my "friend" is from the conversation that I posted, I didn't want to post someone's name without their permission so I changed it to "friend".

Wink Thanks Madagascariensis

0 Not allowed!
    To: Madagascariensis

Thanks! His tank was perfect for him when I first got him... I thought he was full grown (stupid me) and they had him in a little 1/4 gallon jar... The 1gal was a fair price at the time too...

I guess I'm going to have to weasel my sister's 5.5gal and pay her back for it later... It's currently empty so I'm in luck there!
    Last edited by fjolliff; 05-13-2013 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Unclear who it is directed to

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    have you looked on craigs list? you would be surprised at what you can find on there for free lol. i actually just came across some awesome tanks i wish i had room for, for free. 810g , 600gish, 120g, and 100g..... lol just a suggestion any ways
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by genocidex View Post
    have you looked on craigs list? you would be surprised at what you can find on there for free lol. i actually just came across some awesome tanks i wish i had room for, for free. 810g , 600gish, 120g, and 100g..... lol just a suggestion any ways
    Yeah, craigs list is awesome. My dad likes getting lawnmowers and frankensteining them... I'll look on craigs list today, I just hope that they have 5gal tanks, I don't have a lot of extra space... I was thinking of getting a 5gal column-style tank...

0 Not allowed!
    UPDATE:

I moved him into the 5gal today. It took hours, literally hours to set it up and drip method him into it. When I was moving his filter from the 1gal tank, a huge amount of debris floated up from the substrate. It was so thick that I had to move him into clean water asap! But, I had to wait for the water to warm up so he got upset and finished ripping his fin. Now he has a straight edge instead of a chunky edge at the end of his tailfin.

While in the 1/3 gal transition tank, he tried to eat a black ant, he had fun with it by biting at it for a while, but eventually just let it float to the bottom uneaten. Maybe he ate a leg or something, but he played with it like a cat would play with a mouse... I'm glad he had fun and relieved some aggression.

He is currently swimming in giant circles and exploring every nook and crevice in his new 5gal home. I'm going to need some more decor to keep him busy with, but as it is, he can no longer whip his tail up and rip it. There is one long "spine" piece like in the above picture, but it doesn't seem to bother him.

I noticed this morning that the very top edge where his tail is ripped has a brown tip, it's one of the "spiney" pieces (as in the photo) so I'm not sure if it's finrot starting, or if it's part of the healing process (like a scab or something)...

His anal fin is still just like in the photo, so I'll keep an eye to make sure he doesn't tear that one up like his tail.

My API Stress Coat+ says that to heal damaged fins and wounds on the fish, and to replenish their slime coat, to use twice the amount that would be used to condition the water... Has anyone one done that? What else can I do (besides keeping the water super clean) to help keep him comfortable while he heals?

While he was in the 1/3gal today I estimated his growth compared to when I first brought him home. He's grown by around 25%! He was around 3-3.5 inches when I got him, now even with a ripped tail he is around 4 inches! How much bigger do you guys think he'll get? And should I start saving for a 10gal? (or check craigs list, of course) I've seen King bettas that are 5 inches, and there is a bigger breed of betta (Goliath?) that gets 6 inches! I didn't know that deltas get that big, but when his fin heals he will be over 4 inches! Maybe he's a mutant? Hopefully I'm miscalculating because of the water "telescope" effect!

Anyway, I'll try to post a picture of his new home tomorrow! I had to make a lid for it, most likely a temporary one... (duct tape, plastic canvas, fishing line, clear plastic craft lace... Maybe I'll put a tutorial in my blog!) I'm using the light from the top of the 1gal and shining it through the plastic canvas and duct tape, it's making a nice soft light that still illuminates his tank enough.

He just started playing in his betta log... He likes peek-a-betta as a game... So cute! I think he really likes the space! And he looks so pretty now that he can open his fins out. I hadn't realized he had gotten so big in a month!

I'll shut up now! I'm a doting fish mommy! Sorry...