· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, jaysee. You answered all my questions.I will do my normal weekend PWC on Saturday and feed a smaller amount daily. I think when I go home, I will up the temp to 88, just to be sure. Hopefully everyone will be looking good by the end of the week.
    Last edited by gronlaura; 05-13-2013 at 09:56 PM.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp, maybe a Mystery Snail

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    the heat only treatment has worked for me in the past in my 90. Salt can be really hard on your BNP or cories if you have them. If you have snails you don't want to lose you might want to remove them during the heat treatment.
    Make sure you lower the water level a bit and get a bubbler or two in there to increase the oxygen as the heat will deplete it.

After you've seen the last spot (I used a magnifying glass and really checked well) on the last fish, hold the heat as has been suggested for at least 7 more days, then slowly lower and vac the heck out of the tank.
    I did partial W/C every 3 days or so during the heat treatment simply because fresh water is always good when treating a disease.
    Feed less not more during treatment.

As for your BNP - wow, that poor guy is really puffed up. I might get him into a QT and fast him to see if that helps. if not, give him some pea.
    Good luck Ich is no fun but you can get on top of it.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    the heat only treatment has worked for me in the past in my 90. Salt can be really hard on your BNP or cories if you have them. If you have snails you don't want to lose you might want to remove them during the heat treatment.
    Make sure you lower the water level a bit and get a bubbler or two in there to increase the oxygen as the heat will deplete it.

No snails and I'm not doing salt. I have a bubbler and really great water movement at the surface.

After you've seen the last spot (I used a magnifying glass and really checked well) on the last fish, hold the heat as has been suggested for at least 7 more days, then slowly lower and vac the heck out of the tank.
    I did partial W/C every 3 days or so during the heat treatment simply because fresh water is always good when treating a disease. Feed less not more during treatment.

I can do a bi-weekly W/C. Feed less, even though they have an increased metabolism?

As for your BNP - wow, that poor guy is really puffed up. I might get him into a QT and fast him to see if that helps. if not, give him some pea.

He has not eaten since last Monday (5/06) that I know of, unless he's eating at night. But I don't think so, as I don't think he can put any more food in (even a pea) till he poops. He hid on the backside of his driftwood all last week. This morning I was very glad to see him at the other end of the tank, on the sand.

Good luck Ich is no fun but you can get on top of it.

Thanks, fishmommie. My answers in red above.
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp, maybe a Mystery Snail

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    I said to feed a little more because you do not feed every day. What I meant was you can feed every day if you want, not that you should increase the amount of food per feeding. Some people don't feed their fish at all while they are undergoing treatments for things. It's not a black and white issue. But I do agree with fishmommie that you shouldn't feed larger quantities.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    also - i don't think you need to go up to 88 just yet. The ich did not come on over night, it's not going to go away over night either. It usually starts inside their gills so we don't see it right away. Go with 86 for several days before you increase to 88 just to keep the stress level down.

I'd still QT that pleco. poor guy. make sure he's not eating anything at all until he passes that big mass of poo - if that is, in fact what's happening with him. Either way, would be good to get him where you can observe him.
    Good luck! I love my BNP and know you'd hate to lose him.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I got that. will feed the same amount weekly, but spread it out over the whole week - half the amount I feed every other day I will feed daily.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I'll leave the temp at 86. if I qt my bnp do I leave the water at 86, as he came from a tank with ich?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yes. attempt to keep the temp as close to 86 as possible because you don't want to shock him. Even if he is not showing signs of ich, since he's been in an infected tank, I'd leave him at that temp for 7 days to make certain he's not infected, then gradually lower the temp to normal.
    hope all goes well.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    thank you fishmommie.

0 Not allowed!
    The difference between 86 and 88 is much greater for the parasite than it is for the fish. But you are right - since the fish are showing spots, it will be known if 86 is enough within a week.

In my situation of treating fish that are not showing spots, 88 is the only way to know for sure that the parasite has been eradicated, if it was ever even there.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10