· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

Question

0 Not allowed!
    The 86 to 88 degree temperature will be okay for my two bristlenose and the zebra danios?

If so, I am doing a water change now and will slowly raise the temperature to 86.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - right now a QT, future Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeonflame View Post
    Although I have read that it can work, I have never seen ich being successfully treated by just raising the temperature. This speeds up the life cycle but does not kill the free swimming parasites.
    Actually there is a point that temp kills them but that's at something like 32C. Both that and the popular salt method will get very close to killing fish.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    The 86 to 88 degree temperature will be okay for my two bristlenose and the zebra danios?

If so, I am doing a water change now and will slowly raise the temperature to 86.
    I have administered the treatment on close to 50 species of fish, including BN plecos and zebra danios. I haven't found a fish that couldn't handle the heat treatment.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

0 Not allowed!
    When I had a female guppy with ich back in 2007, the heat and salt method worked well. Before that in 2001 when my fish had ich I used Jungle ich clear and lost my pleco and two pictus cats but the other fish survived. Those are my only two experiences with ich.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

0 Not allowed!
    Last time I had ich, ages ago, I bought a bottle of esha exit. No messing with temps, hardly any stress and the stuff was gone.

Default I think BN1 is constipated

0 Not allowed!
    Boy I'm envious of the quality of fish to which you guys have access.

Of course the opportunity to see ich is dependent on the number of new fish purchased.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

Awards Showcase

My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb 

Question Update on BN! and the ick

0 Not allowed!
    Update and 2 questions -

BN1 -

I think I might know why BN1 is constipated. I drop a few bottom dweller wafers in the tank maybe twice a week for the 4 small pristella tetras who won't come to the surface to feed (they went in the garbage this morning). The wafers have been disappearing - I think maybe BN1 is eating them and getting too much fish protein. It's the only thing I can think of, as both BNs are broccoli addicts.

BN1 did not appear all day yesterday (even when feeling his best he doesn't like PWCs). This morning he was sitting on the sand, at the opposite end of the tank from his driftwood, occasionally mini-flashing at fish swimming by - I hope this is an improvement. I dropped an algae wafer in front of him, so hopefully he has pooped and can eat. The way he was laying on the sand, I couldn't tell if he had pooped or was still bloated, but he looked like he way lower on the sand.

Here is a pic of him on Saturday, showing his extremely swollen belly (I don't think you should be able to see under a BN!). He was also swollen by his anus (is that what it's called in a fish?). Poor boy. He is my favorite fish and I will be devastated if I lose him.

2013-05-11 18.59.26.jpg

As for the ick
    -

Temp finally reached 86 as of 11:30 pm last night (I took 8 hours to raise it from 76 to 86). Fish metabolism way up along with activity level. OMG, they're like crazy fish with the 86 temp!

Question regarding feeding while treating with high temps - I feed every other day - should I now feed every day till the treatment is done?

Question regarding PWCs while treating - I have read that daily PWCs are required for the first 4 days to get rid of the free swimming parasites - is that right?

Something I think is interesting - only one of the tetras has ick and none of the scissortails, not one.
    Last edited by gronlaura; 05-13-2013 at 06:01 PM.
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - right now a QT, future Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Default I think BN1 is constipated

0 Not allowed!
    I don't do water changes for the duration of the treatment and feed normally (once, most days).

Seeing spots on the body is a later stage of the infestation. Just because a fish isn't showing spots doesn't mean that it's not carrying the parasite in the gills. Parasites are symbionts so ideally they will exist at a low level. When a fishs immune system is strong that can go on for quite a while. However, when a fish has a weakened immune system, the parasite begins to take over and that's when the spots show up. That's how come it can pop up out of no where. Once ich is eradicated from the tank, the fish will not become re infected unless it is reintroduced via new fish or plants
    Last edited by jaysee; 05-13-2013 at 07:38 PM.

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

Awards Showcase

Question

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
    I don't do water changes for the duration of the treatment and feed normally (once, most days).

Seeing spots on the body is a later stage of the infestation. Just because a fish isn't showing spots doesn't mean that it's not carrying the parasite in the gills. Parasites are symbionts so ideally they will exist at a low level. When a fishs immune system is strong that can go on for quite a while. However, when a fish has a weakened immune system, the parasite begins to take over and that's when the spots show up. That's how come it can pop up out of no where. Once ich is eradicated from the tank, the fish will not become re infected unless it is reintroduced via new fish or plants
    Thanks for your excellent advice. I normally do a weekly 30-40% water change - so, I should I skip the next one and not change until I'm going to lower the temp after the ick is gone. What if it takes more than 2 weeks?

Normal feeding for me is every other day (they ate yesterday prior to the PWC), but this morning they seemed ravenous (I assume it is the heightened metabolism from the 86 temp) and I fed them bloodworms & daphnia.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    Thanks for your excellent advice. I normally do a weekly 30-40% water change - so, I should I skip the next one and not change until I'm going to lower the temp after the ick is gone. What if it takes more than 2 weeks?

Normal feeding for me is every other day (they ate yesterday prior to the PWC), but this morning they seemed ravenous (I assume it is the heightened metabolism from the 86 temp) and I fed them bloodworms & daphnia.
    Just about everyone else will tell you to vacuum/do water changes daily. There's nothing wrong with doing that - it's just that I have found it to be unnecessary so I do not do it. Understanding that the heat disrupts the life cycle, causing the parasites to die out, I don't see how it makes any difference to do water changes since the stated reason for doing the water changes is to remove the parasites from the tank. my experience supports that.

The fish should be spot free by about 5 days. If after a week they still have spots, then you probably have a heat resistant strain. Bumping the temp up to 88 will take care of it. That is why I do 88 from the start, because I don't wait to see spots before I treat them in quarantine - I want to be certain that it's gone. It will not take longer than 2 weeks - shouldn't take longer than 1 week. I don't know if the second week is absolutely necessary - I've not found a reason to test and see, since it's easy enough to just leave the heater plugged in for another week.

With the increased heat they will be more active, so you should feed a little more.

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10