· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

Question I think BN1 is constipated

0 Not allowed!
    BN1 is hiding on the backside of the driftwood and is not eating. BN2 has been eating, but had a string of white poop and is not himself either. I checked the forum regarding constipation and the white poop and found it could be constipation or parasites. Treatment in the QT for parasites is PraziPro, which I have and for the constipation it's epsom salts ( being he's not eating, peas are not an option). Do I give both treatments at the same time, as BN1 appears constipated but BN2 does not?
    Last edited by gronlaura; 05-11-2013 at 05:34 PM.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    I'd be very, very reluctant to use any kind of salt remedy on these fish. How long has this been an issue? Any chance they've been eating too many proteins.?

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    It's been an issue since Monday, when I netted the glowlights to return them to the LFS. I think BN1 got very upset about that.

They eat broccoli, broccoli and more broccoli, algae wafers, an occasional shelled pea and the green seaweed. BN2 seems back to normal. haven't seen BN1, probably on the back side of the driftwood.
    Last edited by gronlaura; 05-11-2013 at 08:46 PM.
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I also believe I have ick. several fish have the white spots. Looked it up on the forum and that is what we've got. I read the sticky on it in fish diseases, medications sound very scary. I have the 2 BNs in the tank and many of the meds are not good for them. what should I use?

0 Not allowed!
    Personally salt scares me a lot more.

However... http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/v....php?f=5&t=709

Default I think BN1 is constipated

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    I also believe I have ick. several fish have the white spots. Looked it up on the forum and that is what we've got. I read the sticky on it in fish diseases, medications sound very scary. I have the 2 BNs in the tank and many of the meds are not good for them. what should I use?
    All you need to do to treat ich is raise the temp to at least 86 degrees (i do 88) for 2 weeks. The spots should be gone by about 5 days or so. The extra week is insurance. I don't know if its absolutely needed, but I've not found a reason to test it to find out - easy enough to just leave it up for another week.

As for constipation - try switching to NLS as your staple food. It is easy to digest and the best food. I haven't had a single case of constipation since switching, no matter how much I may over feed. and that was about 4 years ago.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to everything in jaysee's post.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

0 Not allowed!
    I have done it time and time again, as have many others. It interferes with the life cycle - simple as that.

Here's a fish that I let get infested. I normally treat new fish for ich with heat immediately, as part of the quarantine regimen.

After 3 days, of just heat, you can already see a marked improvement. The fish was spot free after 5 days.

Because I preemptively treat all new fish for ich, I don't ever actually see it anymore - it's taken care of before it ever manifests itself. I started holding off on the treatment for the purpose of demonstrating the effectiveness of the method.

Can't say you haven't seen it now ;)
    Last edited by jaysee; 05-12-2013 at 05:43 PM.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

Default I think BN1 is constipated

0 Not allowed!
    Boy I'm envious of the quality of fish to which you guys have access.

Of course the opportunity to see ich is dependent on the number of new fish purchased.

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

Awards Showcase

Question Update on BN! and the ick

0 Not allowed!
    Update and 2 questions -

BN1 -

I think I might know why BN1 is constipated. I drop a few bottom dweller wafers in the tank maybe twice a week for the 4 small pristella tetras who won't come to the surface to feed (they went in the garbage this morning). The wafers have been disappearing - I think maybe BN1 is eating them and getting too much fish protein. It's the only thing I can think of, as both BNs are broccoli addicts.

BN1 did not appear all day yesterday (even when feeling his best he doesn't like PWCs). This morning he was sitting on the sand, at the opposite end of the tank from his driftwood, occasionally mini-flashing at fish swimming by - I hope this is an improvement. I dropped an algae wafer in front of him, so hopefully he has pooped and can eat. The way he was laying on the sand, I couldn't tell if he had pooped or was still bloated, but he looked like he way lower on the sand.

Here is a pic of him on Saturday, showing his extremely swollen belly (I don't think you should be able to see under a BN!). He was also swollen by his anus (is that what it's called in a fish?). Poor boy. He is my favorite fish and I will be devastated if I lose him.

2013-05-11 18.59.26.jpg

As for the ick
    -

Temp finally reached 86 as of 11:30 pm last night (I took 8 hours to raise it from 76 to 86). Fish metabolism way up along with activity level. OMG, they're like crazy fish with the 86 temp!

Question regarding feeding while treating with high temps - I feed every other day - should I now feed every day till the treatment is done?

Question regarding PWCs while treating - I have read that daily PWCs are required for the first 4 days to get rid of the free swimming parasites - is that right?

Something I think is interesting - only one of the tetras has ick and none of the scissortails, not one.
    Last edited by gronlaura; 05-13-2013 at 05:01 PM.