· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default 5 gallon tank for beginner?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,

I am new here, and have been reading a lot about fish keeping. I know that it is generally best to start out with the largest tank possible, but I just don't have the room right now. I was wondering if a 5 gallon aquarium, like the aqueon minibow, would be good for a beginner if I just stocked it with a betta and some live plants.

Thanks for your help,

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    obviously people keep a beta in 5gal tanks, some even get a ten gal and put in a divider and keep a betta on each side.
    If you can eke out some room for something bigger tho, whatever larger size you can manage would be recommended.

I keep my betta and a few neons in a ten gal...

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    i wouldnt push anything more than the betta in the 5g tank. of course live plants would be a bonus, just watch the light levels as its super easy to fall into a high lighting with such a small tank. seeing how your are just beginning i would suggest looking at low light plants. unless you want to take on a co2 and fert research
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    as you know the bigger the tank the easier it is to keep. it sounds weird, but it is true.
    go for the biggest you can get. if that is a 5 gallon i would get a betta with live plants and some fake decorations, as you said.
    and i think you know what the nitrogen cycle is and what it is. if not there is a sticky in the beginner section.
    remember to get a filter twice the size of your tank. so if you get a 5 gallon than you need a 10 gallon filter.
    and you need to get an master test kit to cycle. good luck

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    since this is a 5g and a betta, i would suggest a low flow air powered filter like a sponge filter. they arent the best for looks but a small tanks is every easy to have too much flow....
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think you'd do great with a 5 gallon for your first tank.
    Someone also told me that the bigger the tank, the easier they are to keep. I have to disagree with that.
    I can clean my 5 gal in 10 minutes easy. My 90, however takes almost 2 hours. So keep that in mind.
    It is good, however, to get the largest tank you have room for because it always seems once you get a small tank, you wish you had a larger one.
    but if you're content with a betta then the 5 is a great way to go. and betta's are gorgeous and happy in 5 gal tanks.
    I have 2 HOB Cascade 20 filter's on my 5 gal betta tank. each are rated for 7 gallons. The flow is ridiculously gently (which is GREAT for bettas) because they don't like current.

In any event, all advice given above is good and if you don't like the idea of a sponge filter, 2 cascade 20's are perfect for a 5 gal tank.
    good luck
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

1 Not allowed!
    The larger the tank the easier it is to keep water parameters stable - hence it being easier for beginners who may make mistakes. It doesn't necessarily mean there is less effort involved. If you make a mistake with 30 gallons of water, the effect on the inhabitants can be less than that of a mistake being made with 5 gallons of water.

I have a 30 gallon and a 6.5 gallon. The 30 gallon is MUCH easier to maintain (in terms of consistency and quality).
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~ View Post
    The larger the tank the easier it is to keep water parameters stable - hence it being easier for beginners who may make mistakes. It doesn't necessarily mean there is less effort involved. If you make a mistake with 30 gallons of water, the effect on the inhabitants can be less than that of a mistake being made with 5 gallons of water.

I have a 30 gallon and a 6.5 gallon. The 30 gallon is MUCH easier to maintain (in terms of consistency and quality).
    that is exactly what i mean. the filter i would recommend would be an aqua clear 20. sounds like an over kill but i think it is perfect. you have a flow adjuster on it which makes the current pretty slow and good for a betta.

0 Not allowed!
    Yep, pretty much!

A 5 gallon is about the smallest tank I'd attempt with livestock. Go smaller and equipment becomes a bad fit and you have 0 room for error. Some plants, perhaps a few cherry shrimp and a betta would work well.