· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default lighting for reading water tests?

0 Not allowed!
    where do you guys and gals read your water test at inside outside under "led" or what? seems the shade of green in ammoina can vary depends on lighting

Awards Showcase

Thanks!!! - steeler58 Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus 
    Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    I put the vial against the white part of the color chart and read it in a well lit room. I've never had a problem reading the ammonia or nitrite tests, yellow and blue are pretty definite, the nitrate can be a bit tricky though.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    indirect white light or indirect sunlight.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger 1 View Post
    I put the vial against the white part of the color chart and read it in a well lit room. I've never had a problem reading the ammonia or nitrite tests, yellow and blue are pretty definite, the nitrate can be a bit tricky though.
    Do you actually hold the tube directly onto the card or hold it a little bit raised?

Depending on if I hold it on or raise it I get a completely different results. Nitrate in particular, if raised a fraction away from the card I get 20~40. If pressed on it goes the most menacing shade of scarlet which would be indicative of 80~100.

I've taken to not holding the vial near the card as I just can't work out how close it should be...

Awards Showcase

have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 it has been a rough work week and it's 5'o clock somewhere - cm12setx Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA 
    Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl 
    Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus 
    Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    I hold the TT against the card, outside, in indirect sunlight...

You can also use the chart here, just hold the TT up close to your monitor: http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Downloads.html
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

Thanks!!! - steeler58 Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus 
    Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sligg View Post
    Do you actually hold the tube directly onto the card or hold it a little bit raised?
    I hold the vials directly on the card, like I said, yellow is yellow and blue is blue, any hint of green or purple, no matter how light, water changes are needed. My nitrates stay below 20ppm and I don't have issues with that color card until the 40ppm color on the chart. All of my tanks have been fully cycled for at least a year or more, so I really don't have issues with parameters.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Indirect sunlight.

Endangered Species 150G Journal
    Discus Grow Out 65G Journal

'No disrespect intended, but I tell it like it is.'

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to 'Holding it directly on the card'

The type of lighting is likely less important than using a consistent source. Pick a room or a corner of a room or whatever and do it there.. Always.

I check mine in my bathroom because that's where I dump/clean the test tubes.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Someday someone will come up with a better testing method especially for us partially colorblind folks..if I didn't have others around to check colors I'd be in trouble.

Something like a sensor that can simply be put into the water and give a digital reading of water parameters~I'd pay a few hundred bucks for something like this.
    29: Harlequin Raspboras, Zebra Danios, Black Skirt Tetras, Platies, CAE
    10: Neons, Otos, Amano Shrimp, Ghost Shrimp

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJim View Post
    Someday someone will come up with a better testing method especially for us partially colorblind folks..if I didn't have others around to check colors I'd be in trouble.

Something like a sensor that can simply be put into the water and give a digital reading of water parameters~I'd pay a few hundred bucks for something like this.
    They have electronic testers.

I hold my vials against the card under the T5 lights that are on my tank.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1