· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Oh crap, swim bladder disease I think

0 Not allowed!
    One of my neons is lying on the gravel on its side, and occasionally tries to swim away but does so upside down and kind of spazzy. Isolate and treat for swim bladder disease, or just flush? And do I treat the tank as a whole, just in case it's bacterial?

29G tank, filter rated to 50G, one airstone, non-planted (plastic decor only).
    9 neon tetras, 3 guppies, 6 cory cats, 1 dwarf gourami. All recent additions - the tank was fishless-cycled and I began populating 2 weeks ago. Most recent additions were the cory cats, on Tuesday night. Everybody looked normal yesterday.

Ammo 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20-40ppm (oh crap - gonna go do a water change as soon as I finish posting.)
    Have been feeding TetraMin flakes, plus half an algae wafer every other day for the catfish.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm. Never mind, he's dead. Saw him drifting during the water change, so I netted him. He didn't move. No thrashing when out of the water, nothing. We gave him a burial at sea.

I've double-checked the other fish. They are all swimming around normally. Well, the cory cats are hiding under a log, but the rest are swimming. I can't get a close enough look at them to see any physical symptoms, e.g. redness in gill area.

One question remains - treat the tank with an antibacterial?

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz 
    In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    your parameters other than the nitrates are in range, IMO I wouldn't treat the tank unless you start seeing fish with the same symptoms... just keep a close eye on them and continue to check your parameters the next few days.

also, it's best to not perform burials at sea due to the possibility of contamination of water supplies in some areas..
    Last edited by JudiJetson; 05-10-2013 at 11:06 PM.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudiJetson View Post
    also, it's best to not perform burials at sea due to the possibility of contamination of water supplies in some areas..
    Really? How does one dispose of tiny fishy corpses then?

And yes, I will sure keep a closer eye on my water parameters for the next little while.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz 
    In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    I usually wrap mine and place in the garbage can...I hate saying that because I don't think off them as something to throw away but better than flushing :(

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Two more corpses this morning - a second neon and a cory cat. One of the 5 remaining catfish isn't looking too good either. He's just lying around, doesn't swim away even when I wave the net around in the tank.
    Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5-10 ppm. Maybe another water change, but I won't vacuum the gravel this time. I'm leaning more towards medicating the tank...