· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

Default First Planted Tank

0 Not allowed!
    As many of you are now aware I've been working on my 10 gallon apisto tank for the past few months. Both my female and male are doing well and seem to have stopped fighting, even occasionally showing off for one another!! I just recently decided to add plants due to outbreaks of algae and problems with nitrates. The plants I chose were water sprite, cryptocoryne wendtiis, red root floaters(courtesy of KevinVA), and when they're shipped next week a small batch of amazon frogbit. I wasn't originally going to get the frogbit or RRF but I've read on plenty of sights that both plants can survive in my light settings. I just today recieved my crypts that took 2 weeks to get here(luckily for me all arrived healthy with new shoots already growing, and even more lucky for me I received 8 plants instead of 3) and I just finished planting them. I, unfortunately, had to remove my apistos and Nerite Snails from the tank as I added another inch of gravel and I did not want to harm them in the process, hopefully they aren't too stressed. With all these changes I might just have to make a journal!!

Now comes my questions. I've been struggling with brown algae in my tank however I've cut down the amount of time the light is on to only about 10 hours. I've only been doing this for a couple days. Does anyone know how else I can rid myself of the algae? I also dosed Flourish for the first time today as my water sprite was doing poorly. Unfortunately I came home to discover my biggest stem covered in brown algae, however all the new growth is even brighter green and grew quite a bit just in this one day.. What should I do? The water sprite is brand new, only about a week old. I have three tiny daughter plants and two larger plants that only have about 4 stems each. I just want to get it so its a nice, thick, forest of water sprite. Also, just thought I might add, my substrate is entirely gravel. I have a root tab under the water sprite and I'm dosing Flourish. Should I add root tabs for the crypts as well?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Brown Algae feeds on something in the substrate. It goes away on its own once it has consumed all of the silicates or whatever it is that it eats. I think silicates is wrong... whatever. Someone will answer it.

Some people claim certain fish eat it... but I am skeptical. I think they might be waiting, getting tired of it, adding a fish, and then when it goes away naturally, the fish did it. But I could be wrong.
    Looks about 40 Gallon Tank
    Betta, Buenos Aires Tetra, Neon Tetra, Harlequin Rasbora, and Otocinclus
    Wisteria, Amazon Sword, Java Fern, and my unstoppable Trumpet Snail Army

Looks about 75 Gallon Tank
    Wet and Empty; thinking Scalare, Corydoras, Otocinclus

0 Not allowed!
    What brown algae are we talking about exactly? Diatoms can look brown

0 Not allowed!
    Diatoms can be eaten and are eaten by Otocinclus, especially. They love the stuff. Honestly, diatoms do not go away by themselves, naturally. You still need to manually remove it, otherwise it solidifies and wraps around stems, leaves, etc... which makes it more difficult to remove and nasty looking.

I've found that at least some root tabs (like Flourish) actually have silicates in them, which, in addition to many sand substrates, will aid in the creation of diatoms. I've experienced this, myself. I would be diatom free for weeks, then I'd add a flourish root tab and all of a sudden I'd have diatoms in my tank. It's not exactly the most horrible thing to happen, as it's somewhat easily removed and notable algae eaters love it.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    The algae is seen mostly below the gravel line, on the walls of the tanks and the plants. What algae eating species could even work in a 10 gallon? The only thing that comes to my mind are otos and I've heard they're very prone to random deaths.

In good news all my crypts opened up overnight and have the first baby leaves out!!

0 Not allowed!
    I've had about 9 Otos in total and only 1 has died "randomly." He came with an illness from the store and literally died a day later. Otherwise, all of mine have been fine. Just make sure your water params are good and they have enough to eat. Otos are actually very good algae eaters and you can fit 3-4 in a 10gal comfortably, depending on your other stock. Otherwise, shrimp and nerite snails are also great algae eaters.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.