· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz 
    Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 

Default Sump plumbing questions

0 Not allowed!
    As some may this is my first "reef ready" tank and my experience/knowledge of plumbing ends with turning the faucet on....or off. So this is a very basic sketch of my plans which of course doesn't include any elbows, unions or check valves since I was using an excel spreadsheet. Please take a look and let me know if I'm at least going in the right direction. I truly appreciate the assistance.

0 Not allowed!
    Certainly looks like you are on the right track. This would be the same approach that I would take.

With a 1.5 inch gravity feed drain line you will get a lot more than 750 GPH, which is good to have extra so you never have to worry.

I would suggest using a 12inch section of line lock to run the return line over the second overflow. You are correct as that is a common approach for a lot of reef tanks that I have seen

Are you planning to have a few baffles in your sump ? The reason why I ask is to see if you have given any thought to planning that part of the set-up yet. I always like to plan that part of allow for the drain back from the main tank should you lose power. That way, no water ends up on the floor during a power failure.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz 
    Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Yes I am, I don't have a pic of the sump on my phone but i'll post the info when i get home from work

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Here's a shot of the sump, media area, two baffles, refugium area, two baffles then pump area.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Fresh Water?

If salt I see no skimmer , so I guess fresh.

Why did you choose a sump for Fresh?

Just asking.

To remove the headache of the sump I would use canister filters but I guess my opinion.

Good luck though, you idea looks right , As Cliff said on the right track.

Make sure some way to break the water in case the power goes out.

I drilled a small hole in mine about 1/8 below the water line on the intake side but had to keep after it to make sure it stayed open.

Jeff

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    reef12, yes it is freshwater. I have canisters on my 45 but on this new setup I really wanted to get everything out of the tank and into the sump. I was also considering using the 1" bulkhead for a second drain in the event one clogs. I'm not sure how necessary this is to do but I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Have some questions also regarding the flow through the sump since this will be planted with watersprite to help reduce nitrates. Most information out there on sumps seem to be for reef setups not freshwater. So if anyone would like to chime in with tips/advice it will be more than appreciated!!!

0 Not allowed!
    I would suggest using the same type of flow as you would for a canister filter, which is about 4 X your main tank volume (135 gallons X 4 = 540 gph)

If you are worried about that being too much flow for your planted section, you could set-up the sump with two drain lines for different flow rates, a lower flow section (first section) for the plants, a section for your bio-media and mechanical filteration on the other end with it's own drain line at a higher flow rate, and your return pump in the middle section. You would have to change the baffles in your sump, but it might work a little better for the plants and your biological filtration.

The top example of the below pic is what I am referring to. You could have your plant (refugium) section on one end and your bio & mechanical filtration on the other. This is a more common approach on marine sumps with refugiums, but I thought I would mention it as a option for you to consider.

Last edited by Cliff; 05-14-2013 at 11:24 AM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff, thanks so much..I remember seeing this chart and figuring I would use the bottom setup...then I decided after to actually plant the refugium and not just use the space for more media & heaters. I think I'm going to try it as is since my flow rate isn't going to be that high and see what happens. I can always pull it apart and change things up, crossing fingers I won't have to.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudiJetson View Post
    Here's a shot of the sump, media area, two baffles, refugium area, two baffles then pump area.

The sump looks good

How much of a space did you leave between the bottom of the baffles to make you bubble trap ?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff, about an 1-1/2