· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: 40 Gallon Tank

1. Default 40 Gallon Tank

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, this is my first post. I am just showing my aquarium, it is about 5 weeks old and doing decent.

The water is very green due to some medication tablets I put in there called Fungus clear,
    you have to take the carbon out of the filter. It will clear up again once I get another filter & do some water changes I think.

I have: 1 Green terror, 1 electric yellow Cichlid, and 2 Jack Dempsey cichlids (So far)
    I had 2 Tiger oscars but they both died due to some type of Fungus which is why I had to medicate the tank...

I realize 40 gallons is too small for tiger oscars so I am buying a 55 gallon tank before I get another one.

The tank: (That's how green the medication made it)
    IMG_1653.jpg

Green Terror:
    IMG_1656.jpg

Jack Dempsey:
    IMG_1661.jpg

I started this only 5 weeks ago and am already very hooked. Fish are Awesome

My next goals are to get more hiding spots in the 40 gallon, and get a 55 Gallon set up and ready for a Tiger Oscar or two :D

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the forum.

Medication tablets are never needed unless your fish are sick.

I strongly recommend that you return your fish and read up on how to cycle a tank. you'll keep having fish die until you can cycle a tank.

lastly, an oscar's minimum tank size is 75gallons. anything less will stunt the fish and slowly kill it due to organ failure (they outgrow the body)

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzoutank View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

Medication tablets are never needed unless your fish are sick.

I strongly recommend that you return your fish and read up on how to cycle a tank. you'll keep having fish die until you can cycle a tank.

lastly, an oscar's minimum tank size is 75gallons. anything less will stunt the fish and slowly kill it due to organ failure (they outgrow the body)
    Hi, thank you for your reply. I medicated the tank because the tiger oscar got some kind of fungus disease. He got weak and the other fish killed him :(

I don't think they will take them back.. Their only return policy is if my fish turn out to be not compatible.

And thanks for the tip about the oscars, I'll see what I can do.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If that is your LFS return policy, then they will def take them back.

your fish are not compatible in a tank that size.
    If you had a 125gallon tank. you could keep your current stock.

2 JD's in a 40=disaster. they get too big for the tank, and they also are super aggressive. they'll beat each up other to death.
    The same for the green terror. they didn't get the nickname terror for any reason.
    Electric yellows need different water requirements than the other cichlids.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If that is your LFS return policy, then they will def take them back.

your fish are not compatible in a tank that size.
    If you had a 125gallon tank. you could keep your current stock.

2 JD's in a 40=disaster. they get too big for the tank, and they also are super aggressive. they'll beat each up other to death.
    The same for the green terror. they didn't get the nickname terror for any reason.
    Electric yellows need different water requirements than the other cichlids.
    Dang. I have messed up then. They will be fine for now in a 40 gallon because they are so small right? I could move them into a larger one after they get bigger. I am only 16 years old, sorry if I seem a little stupid im really new to this.
    I was really wanting to set up an Oscar tank for 2, but it looks like im going to have to get a huge tank

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    We all learned some way or another. by all means, I didn't start off on the right foot in this hobby either.

You are here to learn and that speaks wonders.

The issue with the current set up is both size and aggression. At your nearest chance, I would return them for their sake and yours. Even at a young age (which your fish are) they have their strong personalities to beat one another up.

if you have space and money for a big tank-then by all means. get it! The best recommendation is get the biggest tank you can afford.

Just remember-with tank size comes costs:
    Filtration needs to be at least 2x the size of the tank...and if you are interested in oscars, they are poop machines and you'll need crazy good filtration.
    decor (substrate, plants (real/fake), driftwood, rocks, etc)
    lights
    QT set up (highly recommended)

Otherwise, keep the 40 and set it up with smaller fish.
    Here's my 40gallon for reference of what is possible:
    2013-05-04_19-05-14_397.jpg

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    We all learned some way or another. by all means, I didn't start off on the right foot in this hobby either.

You are here to learn and that speaks wonders.

The issue with the current set up is both size and aggression. At your nearest chance, I would return them for their sake and yours. Even at a young age (which your fish are) they have their strong personalities to beat one another up.

if you have space and money for a big tank-then by all means. get it! The best recommendation is get the biggest tank you can afford.

Just remember-with tank size comes costs:
    Filtration needs to be at least 2x the size of the tank...and if you are interested in oscars, they are poop machines and you'll need crazy good filtration.
    decor (substrate, plants (real/fake), driftwood, rocks, etc)
    lights
    QT set up (highly recommended)

Otherwise, keep the 40 and set it up with smaller fish.
    Here's my 40gallon for reference of what is possible:
    2013-05-04_19-05-14_397.jpg

Wow that tank looks awesome. I think I am going to try and get a very large tank.. for the 40 gallon do you think the 2 jack Dempseys could stay in there by themselves? I honestly really like them and the green terror. They don't even fight. The only one that gives trouble is the electric yellow. As for the green terror i could put him in the larger one.

I am very confused haha

Thumbs down For the reasons already given

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwuak View Post
    .. for the 40 gallon do you think the 2 jack Dempseys could stay in there by themselves? I honestly really like them and the green terror.
    No......................
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    You will learn here that what you would like to do and what is practical/healthy for the fish can be 2 different things - each fish has requirements (size of tank, compatible tank mates, ,etc) which need to be met before putting them into a tank together or purchasing them period.

I recommend that you not listen to what a fish store employee tells you (if you have done that already) and do not buy fish simply because you like the looks of them - it's always best to get the name of a fish you like and do research on housing requirements first.

Telling the store that you are making returns due to incompatibility isn't lying - you don't want beat up fish.

I hope you have purchased a liquid test kit and are familliar with the concept of cycling/testing water parameters, etc.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by imma24 View Post
    I hope you have purchased a liquid test kit and are familliar with the concept of cycling/testing water parameters, etc.
    I have, I have the basics down. I had all of my water levels good before I put fish in. Ammonia/nitrates and PH level are all good. As for my fish, I have decided to leave them in there for now because they are so small. I will be buying a 100Gallon tank in a month or so to transition in to. I guess I will not be able to get Tiger Oscars's (sadly) :(