· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Two Questions am i feeding them enough ? and

0 Not allowed!
    i have a Teltrec 1200 filter and just noticed that the intake filter that sucks up the water has a guard around it but i noticed one of my small Cardinals was sucked into the guard , is there anything you might recommend for to prevent the fish from been sucked up

i have 25 cardinal tetra
    6 Albino Corydoras
    5 Bronze Corydoras
    6 Panda Corydoras
    2 Golden Gourami?

TANK Size 36x15x18

feeding : once a day , im using flake food about a good pinch ,

Hinkari Sinking wafers 3 a day ,
    and once a week frozen brine shrimp,
    one day i don't feed at all

2. Default Hi can you tell me am i feeding them enough?

0 Not allowed!
    i have 25 cardinal tetra
    6 Albino Corydoras
    5 Bronze Corydoras
    6 Panda Corydoras
    2 Golden Gourami?

TANK Size 36x15x18

feeding : once a day , im using flake food about a good pinch ,

Hinkari Sinking wafers 3 a day ,
    and once a week frozen brine shrimp,
    one day i don't feed at all

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think you are feeding a bit too much IMO.

but if you have good water parameters and your filters aren't filled up with "gunk" then you are doing okay.

I personally feed once a day or every other day. Depends on how the fish look.

My rule of thumb is to do 1 hikari wafer per 2 cory's though.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This is a duplicate post....

so I'll address the other question that is relevant.

Healthy fish shouldn't get sucked into the guard of the filter.
    My cardinal tetra's swim right by my filter intakes with ease (fluval 306 at rull power)

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    in fairness the last batch of cardinal there were 2 a bit small

0 Not allowed!
    You should throw out the flakes and get a high quality pellet food like NLS thera A. 1 mm size is good for your fish.

It;s really impossible to know if you are over feeding or not. I don't know how big your fingers are, so I have no idea how big your pinch is. Too, your idea of a good pinch and mine are probably different.

If you want to know if you are overfeeding, get yourself some trumpet snails. If their population gets out of hand, then you are over feeding. You can bring their colony back to a reasonable size by managing the amount of food you are feeding. They will be a good indicator of your feeding habits - maintaining a small colony means that the fish are getting enough, but not too much. Aside from that, trumpet snails are an asset to every tank.
    Last edited by jaysee; 05-09-2013 at 10:52 PM.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

0 Not allowed!
    newly hatched fry can manage to not get sucked up by the filter. If the fish gets stuck to the filter, it is too weak to free itself because it is sick/dying. If you find a dead fish stuck to the filter, one of too things happened - the fish died and was carried to the intake by the current, or the fish was in the process of dying and was brought to the intake by the current. Filters don't kill fish.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've had "infant" cardinal tetra's survive that 306 filter intake. so +1 to Jaysee.

The issue is with the weak fish or something that is causing them to be weak (poor stock, illness, poor water paramaters, etc)

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to above. Fish, even fry, are excellent swimmers.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 7 Blackskirt Tetras, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

0 Not allowed!
    I have merged your two threads as you were asking the same question
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]