· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default first time treating for internal parasites - need med recommendations

0 Not allowed!
    hello everyone.

so, i have diagnosed one of my bettas who is in hospital right now with an internal parasitte. bloated, swimming is a little awkward but moves around a lot, eats, but will not poop anything but that white, stringy telltale stuff every once in a while after feeding him a pea. i have him in a tank with epsom salts and he is tolerating it very well.

just have never used anything to treat internal parasites and need some recommendations for a trusted kind and brand that any of you have used. if you've used it for betta specifically - that's a bonus!

thank you for any suggestions
    20gal: 18 neon tetra, ghost shrimp
    5.5gal: 5 glolight tetra
    5.5gal: royal blue/purple butterfly rose tail betta

0 Not allowed!
    I've used Prazi-Pro to good results... however it is a little rough, each time I have used it I lost a few of my zebra danios. Everyone else is great though

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    well, he will be treated alone. hopefully he stands up to it. i will wait for a couple more suggestions. anyone else concur?
    20gal: 18 neon tetra, ghost shrimp
    5.5gal: 5 glolight tetra
    5.5gal: royal blue/purple butterfly rose tail betta

0 Not allowed!
    Oh. just gonna throw it out there, I forgot that there was a tiny bit of carbon in one of my filters, it made it so the first treatment did nothing for me, make sure you have no carbon filtration on the tank when you go to treat with meds

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    + to Hardy. Prazi pro is actually quite mild. You might also add a 1/2 dose of Metro+ which could also deal with any potential infections since it contains an antibiotic.

Just make certain that if you do water changes (and you should keep the water very clean) you need to redose proportionate to the water your remove from the tank.

Since bettas surface often to take in air, don't use melafix or pimafex. it can create an oil type slick on top of the water and damage their gills.

Good luck!
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Default first time treating for internal parasites - need med recommendations

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    Prazi pro is actually quite mild.

Since bettas surface often to take in air, don't use melafix or pimafex. it can create an oil type slick on top of the water and damage their gills.
    I agree - I treat my new fish with prazipro as part of my quarantine routine. It's pretty mild for a medication.

I thought the problem was it damaging the bettas labyrinth organ, not their gills.
    125 - big fish - BGK
    125 - cichlid community - cichlids (red severums, chanchitos, bolivian rams, blue acara, chocolate), rainbows (yellow, turquoise, red and boesmani), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis, golden wonder killis
    90 - african community - Congo tetras, african knife, african butterflies, spotted ctenopoma, palmas bichir, african featherfin
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
    I agree - I treat my new fish with prazipro as part of my quarantine routine. It's pretty mild for a medication.

I thought the problem was it damaging the bettas labyrinth organ, not their gills.
    You're right. It is. I totally misspoke - it's the labryinth organ. Thanks
    Should also note that there is some debate about whether or not either medication is safe for bettas but I'd error on the side of caution.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Debate?? With bettas?? :-)

As far as I can tell, the issue is overdosing, which is quite easy to do in the tiny tanks in which many people keep their bettas.
    125 - big fish - BGK
    125 - cichlid community - cichlids (red severums, chanchitos, bolivian rams, blue acara, chocolate), rainbows (yellow, turquoise, red and boesmani), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis, golden wonder killis
    90 - african community - Congo tetras, african knife, african butterflies, spotted ctenopoma, palmas bichir, african featherfin
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L

0 Not allowed!
    I have even used prazi-pro to treat very sensitive marine fish and found it to be a great med to use for parasites. I have used Prazi-pro on a fresh water set-up as well and found it to be a very effective med that did not seam to even stress out any of the fish
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
    Debate?? With bettas?? :-)

As far as I can tell, the issue is overdosing, which is quite easy to do in the tiny tanks in which many people keep their bettas.
    That is my understanding as well. Pima and mela are find to use on bettas as long as you don't overdose. I've used both on bettas in the past without issue.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"