· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Choosing A Tank

1. Default Choosing A Tank

0 Not allowed!
    hey guys. i want to start a marine tank. this is my first marine tank. i have been looking at the red sea 250 max even though its pricy. is it worth the money or should i get a larger lower tech system. can you please give me some genreral advice about choosing a tank.

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    The best advice I would give anyone looking to purchse a tank is to get the biggest tank you would consider within your means. By that I mean big enough to where its not going to be a pain keeping up with salt level and small enough that tank cleanings, water changes and such are not a large pain.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would buy the biggest you can afford. I don't have any experience with that setup but it is expensive. My only worry would be if something breaks (skimmer, filter, etc) are they able to be replaced?

My LFS has a red sea for years and it always looks nice. However, they have people to clean it 6 days a week.

The tank usually is the cheapest part of a setup. However, I think a 120g with dual overflows would make a great setup. Keep in mind the price for a skimmer, heaters, sump, filter media, fuge?, etc etc. One thing I have learned on tank setup is to buy the good products up front and not to go cheap.
    300g + 240g in wall build! - Follow Here
    120g SW Reef, LED lights, cool fish and corals!

0 Not allowed!
    The Red Sea Max 250 is an awesome tank for a first time marine aquarium keeper. While there are components of the larger Red Sea Max S series tanks that I don't care for, I honestly don't really have much of an issue with anything (except the skimmer) on the 250. I currently have 2 beginner customers running the Red Sea Max 250 with great great success. One of them hadn't even dabbled in FW tanks before, so not only are they new to marine aquariums, but they are new to aquariums period, and they are doing just great with it. The nice part about it is that as you grow in your knowledge and ability with this hobby, it is already ahead of you. The lighting in that setup will allow you to keep even the most light demanding corals, and the versatility it allows with the possibility of adding reactors is also a great feature. I would seriously consider that tank.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown