· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default newbie cycleing with fish in

0 Not allowed!
    well day 3 and i got my water test kit in mail yesterday. I changed water last 2 days because i had no test kitbut today ammonia levels look pretty good. i would sayless than .25 but more than .00 so i was gonna skip the water change today.(also hoping the water python i ordered shows up today for tomorrows water change.

am i on the right track? or should i change water no matter what?

test kit came with 2 nitrate testing bottles NO2 and NO3 i used the NO2 and it came back 0.

did i do the right thing?

my test kit is API freshwater master test kit if that helps.

0 Not allowed!
    You are on the right track! Yes, ammonia should get no higher than .25 with fish - if it gets up to .5 then you need to change your water to get it back down. If you change your water enough, you might never get a reading for nitrites.

How large of a tank is it and what do you have in there?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    29gal...3mollies in

Awards Showcase

10,000 posts is worth a monetary donation - well almost :o) congrats - fishmommie For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass 
    Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass 
    Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 
    For the YapMeister - Compass Another milestone! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    "test kit came with 2 nitrate testing bottles NO2 and NO3 i used the NO2 and it came back 0. "

Not sure I understand you here...for Nitrate, there should be a bottle #1 and a bottle #2....you should add 10 drops from bottle 1, invert with the cap on to mix (NOT your finger)...then you should VIGOROUSLY shake bottle #2, shake it HARD, then add 10 drops from bottle 2 to the same test tube...cap, shake HARD for 1 minute, then wait 5 min. for the results...
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    wait i just looked at kit one is nitrite(NO2) and the othe nitrate(NO3)

not sure what is what here. i used nitrite(no2)??

any articles i can be link to on this subject?

Awards Showcase

10,000 posts is worth a monetary donation - well almost :o) congrats - fishmommie For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass 
    Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass 
    Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 
    For the YapMeister - Compass Another milestone! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    You should have gotten an instruction booklet with the kit...NiTRITE and NiTRATE are TWO different things you need to test for...The NiTRITE test has only one solution bottle, the NiTRATE test uses 2 bottles for the same test, in the same test tube...

watch this:

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    *Note: the guy in the video shakes the TEST TUBE contents for NiTRATE, after mixed, for 30 seconds...the API instructions advise shaking for one minute...

Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    You should have gotten an instruction booklet with the kit...NiTRITE and NiTRATE are TWO different things you need to test for...The NiTRITE test has only one solution bottle, the NiTRATE test uses 2 bottles for the same test, in the same test tube...

watch this:

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I made myself the following quick reference/directions sheet for the API test kit...saved it as a word document to my desktop as a quick reference...I found the instructions in the booklet to be too small to read easily, and I didn't need the other languages...

AMMONIA:
    8 DROPS FROM BOTTLE 1, INVERT TO MIX, 8 DROPS FROM BOTTLE 2, SHAKE 5 SECONDS, WAIT 5 MINUTES.

NITRATE:
    10 DROPS FROM BOTTLE 1, INVERT TO MIX, SHAKE BOTTLE 2 VIGOROUSLY , 10 DROPS FROM BOTTLE 2, SHAKE HARD FOR 1 MINUTE, WAIT 5 MINUTES.

PH:
    3 DROPS, INVERT TO MIX, RESULTS ARE IMMEDIATE.

NITRITE:
    5 DROPS, SHAKE 5 SECONDS, WAIT 5 MINUTES.

HIGH PH:
    5 DROPS, INVERT TO MIX, RESULTS ARE IMMEDIATE.

Also, look here for an on-line color reference chart, to use with the color card that came with your kit: http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Downloads.html

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That's got it right. Just do that, exactly.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the help i copied and printed your chart slaphappy

few things yet:

Do i need to test water if i'm gonna do a water change that day anyway?

Is it stupid to add a few neon tetras right now?

Benefits of a larger filter rather than the stock 29gal filter that came with kit? I know i must leave it go for now due to the "good" bacteria that is forming on the current filter but i'm saying after the cycleing is done?

thanks for your time to all who reply