· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default !0 gal setup basic questions

0 Not allowed!
    Im not new to aquariums, but ive never used one this small for fish before, so I need some suggestions. I had an african dwarf frog in it for a long time, but it died a couple of years ago, and now I cant stand to have the tank sitting empty any longer. My plan is to have a school of pygmy corys, i'm thinking 6? I'd also like to get some endlers. How many male endlers could i put with the 6 corys? Or is there another colorful fish that would work better? I'd rather have corys and a small school of fish rather than single/pair of fish like a betta or honey gouramis. Also, if i decide to put shrimp in, are RCS or Ghost better, and how many, if any, could i put in?

For the substrate I'm going to use sand. I'm also going to have java moss and java ferns in the tank. Are these good to have, or would you recommend another kind of plant? Should I be conservative with the plants, or will the corys and endlers like a heavily planted tank? Also what kind of lighting should I use? I've never used live plants before (my oscars wouldn't go for it), so this is the area i really have no idea on. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

For heating, I have a 400W Hydor heater that I used in a 125gal Oscar tank, which i'd like to use, but i have a feeling it's overkill. what do you all think?

For filtration I have an Aqua-Tech 5-15 power filter. I also have a Whisper In-Tank Filter 3i, which is meant for tanks less than 3 gallons (I used it to just barely circulate the water in my ADF tank). Would there be any advantage to having both of these filters in the tank, or is the Aqua Tech enough?

I also have an 6ish inch bubble bar (not sure if that's what it's actually called) that I could put in. Would there be a need for this?

I've always been very good about doing routine water changes. What do you all recommend, weekly 25% water change or something closer to 50%?
    Last edited by kwheeler; 05-09-2013 at 07:10 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    I went here http://aqadvisor.com/ and put in 6 endlers and 6 cories. It has you as 107 percent overstocked. Of course aqua advisor is only a guide and you can fine tune. I would def suggest at least an aquatech 20 so that you have double the amout of filtration. I think that 400 watt heater would be an eyesore in such a small small tank. The bubler won't hurt at all. Don't squat about shrimp so the experts will help you out there. The sand and plants sound very nice. 50% is what most people here do on pwc. Hope this helps.

0 Not allowed!
    For a 10gal tank, you could do really small corys but I would advise getting a tiny schooling fish such as neon tetras or glolight tetras - anything larger the fish would be cramped - that's not a big tank & corys like a large "footprint" - meaning length in a tank.

As rodm81 noted above, it is usually recommended to have enough for double the size of your tank and filters are usually good for HALF what they're rated - which means the aqua tech is really good for 7.5gal and the other filter for even less.

Agree with getting a smaller heater & a thermometer if you don't already have one - plus, you need a test kit (liquid is best - not test strips).

From what I've read here, if you are going to get smaller shrimp, you will need to have hiding places for them so they don't become snacks for the fish.

If your filters break up the surface of the water (especially if they sit on the edge of the tank and return water pours back in), you don't need a bubble bar - that's primarily used to put oxygen in the water or because people like the look of them - in a small tank it might provide too much agitation which some fish don't like.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

Awards Showcase

TGIF! - Compass My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue 
    TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus 
    TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus right back at cha! - fishmommie TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 Happy B Day! - Taurus 
    Which leaves on to ask which came first the cake or the beer! - Taurus Happy B-day buddy! - steeler58 Happy 51st...and many more! - Rue Congrats on your cycle!! - RiversGirl thanks - fishmommie 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    I think it is a good idea to read all the stickies in the beginner forum, if nothing more than t be a refresher course on various subjects, and be sure you get that tank cycled first!
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Depends a bit on the tank shape. If it's nice and rectangular... why not make it a species only for pygmies? And get them to breed?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, it's rectangle shaped. I am considering doing a species only tank. Would a planted tank with natural sand and driftwood be well suited for a school of pygmy corys?
    So every one agrees that I would be better off with a larger filter? I would much rather have more than enough filtration rather than just enough.

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED 
    For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl 
    I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 thanks for the tip on the ammonia alert.  it's great for cycling with fish. - fishmommie 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwheeler View Post
    Yeah, it's rectangle shaped. I am considering doing a species only tank. Would a planted tank with natural sand and driftwood be well suited for a school of pygmy corys?
    So every one agrees that I would be better off with a larger filter? I would much rather have more than enough filtration rather than just enough.
    This sounds like a really nice small tank. I have seen the pygmy cories at my LFS and they are darn cute. And yes, your filtration should be for double your tank size - so a filter for a 20 gal is needed. An AquaClear 20 would work well - you can use whatever media you want and they are super easy to maintain. Be sure to cycle the tank and post photos when you're set-up.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras
    Future 40 Long - Rummynose Tetras and Cories

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Endlers or any fancy guppy should be fine in that tank as well.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

Awards Showcase

TGIF! - Compass My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue 
    TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus 
    TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus right back at cha! - fishmommie TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 Happy B Day! - Taurus 
    Which leaves on to ask which came first the cake or the beer! - Taurus Happy B-day buddy! - steeler58 Happy 51st...and many more! - Rue Congrats on your cycle!! - RiversGirl thanks - fishmommie 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    I use an AquaClear 30 (30 gallon) on my 10 gallon tank, and am quite happy with it...even at max flow, it does not buffet the fish around badly... I usually keep it at around 50% flow rate most of the time
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandz View Post
    Endlers or any fancy guppy should be fine in that tank as well.
    Would seriously affect fry survival.