· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

0 Not allowed!
    As a former septic tank owner, I can tell you it works when used as directed. I know this as I stopped using it for 4 months in a row once as I was under the miss-guided impression that it was second rate snake oil. But I as had to unclog the septic pump 5 times when I went to pump out the tank, I came to realize this stuff worked. In the previous 4 years of using a product like that, I never had the pump clog even once. Unclogging a septic pump 5 times in 3 hours was all the evidence that I needed. I started using the product again and never had the pump clog for the next 2 years that I lived there. It was sold under a different name, but it was a bacteria additive in dried /spore form. Maybe I'm too old school, but I can't bring myself to add something to my aquarium that I used to buy to flush down the toilet. Just my personal hang-ups I guess

But I'm with Honey Badger on this, clean your darn filters when they need it.
    Last edited by Cliff; 05-17-2013 at 04:10 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Thanks!!! - steeler58 Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus 
    Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    the powder form of the pro-biotic bacteria is actually viable spores. so it's not a gimmick like the 'bacteria in a bottle' fish store junk. this product has been used for years in septic tank systems which we all know has ALOT of 'mulm buildup'. lol.

this whole idea came about with the new fad of fishfoods offering higher priced 'pro-biotic foods'. these foods contain the same strains of bacteria you can easily get in bulk from buying the same septic bacteria. there are also other benefits ontop of the lower filter maintenance. the good pro-biotic bacteria out competes bad bacteria which leads to less chance of infections and such. also supposed to help fishes digestive systems. even water clarity has said to be clearer. I'm definitely interested in keeping up with how this goes more longterm in aquariums.
    You are missing the point. This stuff is just not needed. Under normal circumstances, one or two water changes a week and cleaning the filter once or twice a month is all that is needed. Why throw more crap into the water column when it isn't needed, and according to you, the long term affects are not yet known. A water change, gravel vacuum, and cleaning the filter on one tank does not take that long, doing all this once a week still leaves about 6 days and 23 hours each week to sit back and enjoy the beauty of your tank. Plus, we all know the benefits of water changes for our fish far outweigh any gimmick out there to reduce the work. Of course, unlike you, most of us don't have (or had) 7 large aros, a colony of cichlids, a few plecos, and discus in a 180g, so we don't need to do daily water changes, nor do we need to find gimmicks to reduce the work load because of a severely over stocked tank. For the rest of us, including Blak in his specific situation, cleaning the filter a little more often, instead of once a month will solve the problem, improve the health of his fish, has proven long term benefits, and no long term problems. .
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    yes, nothing beats regular maintenance. won't argue with that.

I wouldn't say that adding some good bacteria spores to your tank is 'adding crap' as you put it, but this is definitely something to keep an eye on. especially for those of us who like to have a big bioload.
    Thar she blows!!!