· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    wow bro that looks pretty nasty , never seen one that bad lol . I don't think there is anything wrong you just might have to up your cleaning schedule . at the latest maybe every month clean your filters . It will probably cut down alot on the mulm and gunk .

0 Not allowed!
    http://www.directaquarium.com/Hagen-...ge-p/12690.htm

It slips on over the intake of the canister. It will keep debris out of the canister. You may need to take it off the intake once or twice per week to rinse it off, but it will keep the internal sponge and biomedia of the canister free of mulm and other debris.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    http://www.directaquarium.com/Hagen-...ge-p/12690.htm

It slips on over the intake of the canister. It will keep debris out of the canister. You may need to take it off the intake once or twice per week to rinse it off, but it will keep the internal sponge and biomedia of the canister free of mulm and other debris.
    Isnt big enough for FX5 tho. if they have bigger ones can you help me find them so i can order them wouldnt mind checking them out.
    110g All Male Peacock/Hap Tank

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cichlids209 View Post
    wow bro that looks pretty nasty , never seen one that bad lol . I don't think there is anything wrong you just might have to up your cleaning schedule . at the latest maybe every month clean your filters . It will probably cut down alot on the mulm and gunk .
    Tell me about it. I hose the whole filter and rinse the bio media in a bucket of tank water. Every month do that? thats over kill i feel and i will keep disturbing it...

0 Not allowed!
    I clean my FX5 about every month or so. I take out the sponges and get all the gunk and trapped bits out of them as well as rinsing off the bio media very well in old tank water. My FX5 doesn't get any build up of anything that way. I have never noticed that effecting water quality either. But I also have a XP2 on the same tank as well so I can alternate filter cleanings

Just find what works for your tank to keep the media clean and prevent a build up of crud/mulm. It would be very important to keep good flow going through the filter in order for the bio-media to do it's job
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff, have you tried a prefilter sponge on your FX5 intake? Looking back through the archives, I see that it has been tried, but was not very successful because the intake pressure is so strong on the FX5 that it that the prefilter sponge collapses? So it may NOT be a good suggestion.

0 Not allowed!
    I tried a sponge once but it did not work for me. I could have been using too fine of a sponge which would restrict the flow more than a course sponge would. IDK, as I never tried again. I just assumed I used the wrong type of sponge as others have had good success with using them. Certainly worth a try I would think. Others have also reported success using panty-hose on the intake as well. That might be a better option to try.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    I'm with Taurus on this one. I actually use an Aquaclear coarse sponge on my FX2 intake. They're cheap and do the job. Before using it, I was having to clean my filter out once per month, now the filter is quite a bit cleaner and I can spread out my filter maintenance a bit. When I added a second canister filter, it was amazing to see the difference between the two. The new one without the sponge prefilter was considerably more dirty than the other. I'd suggest using one. You don't have to buy a product made specifically for prefilters... you can just use a square AC20 sponge and poke a hole through it, so the intake fits snuggly. =]
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    You don't have to buy a product made specifically for prefilters... you can just use a square AC20 sponge and poke a hole through it, so the intake fits snuggly. =]
    I usually take an exacto knife and poke it down through the middle of an AC sponge. Then just slip it on over the intake. Use larger sponges for larger intakes.
    Last edited by Taurus; 05-10-2013 at 11:24 PM.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Can i get a link to what type of sponges you guys are talking about ? your not talking about the standard ac sponges are you ? Do they have black sponges that i can use kind of dont want a eye sore as it will stand out alot. Also it doesnt mess with the flow rate or does it ?