· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    I think the above is excellent advice. And Talldutchie, you have a great tank so I am sure many would love to duplicate.

Heres my 2 pennies worth:

First I want you to go browse the aquarium journals section. Lets get a feel on what you personally think is a "wow" tank. Get a few pictures and names and post it here. Note the people and links that you like on a pad so you can go back and take a more detailed look at their personal approach to how they got their tank that way.

Second - get a liquid API test kit. Yes its spendy but WELL worth it.

Third - Do some plant research. Takashi Amano is just one of the names that I can recommend that does some great things with plants. He also always listing the names of plants. Consider writing a list of ones you find attractive.

Four - be prepared to revamp and spend money on quality products. A solid light for a 40gal is around 130 bucks for a quality LED local to me. It will have enough PAR penitration to grow plants of all sorts. Also if you are really going head first into plants, you may consider CO2 after a bit of research and what you want for a final product.

Five - You have amazing stores near you. The best store I know though is about 4 hours away in Portland. They would be cheap on shipping though. The Wet Spot is the store. Who is your LFS?

Six - I agree with painting the background black. Everything will pop better.

Seven - stocking is wrong for a "wow" tank. Little fish get lost in bigger tanks and will generally only school with their own kind. I recommend you pick 2 schools and consider 15 members of each species then have a centerpiece species like an angel. The reason I lean toward an angel is because they are showy, have personality and are considered a threat to the schools but wont really hurt them. THis should make them shoal better and create the visual appeal you are looking for.

Eight- Layout. Research different types of layouts. Dutch, Iwagimi, etc. Look at the types of plants and types of possitioning used. Youtube is full of great videos on this.

Nine - Substrate... a lot of great looking tanks focus more on colors of fish than on the substrate. Lighter substrate, if not balanced, tends to make the fish bleach out because they are trying to blend in with the surroundings. If you have a great plant substrate, fine, but I would consider the results sub par and could use some tweaking to a flourite or ecocomplete.

Ten - Maintenence is lacking. 10% water change twice a week is not enough in my opinion. 30% is a better number. Your feeding is fine but the lack of nitrates lean me to the idea that you water is keeping more nitrates in the water and the algae is eating it.

I feel like I am ranting here but want to be thurough... Consider shrimp to add color to your plants. Red Cherry Shrimp are a great choice if given enough plants to hide in to reproduce and keep a good colony. I am also a proponent that likes balance. You have a large number of schoolers... consider this stocking as an example rather than a mandate:

15 Purple Raspboras
    15 Rummy-Nose Tetras
    10 Endler Live Bearers (3 male, 7 female)
    1 Blue Pinoy Angel
    10 Schwartz Cory
    1 Bolivian Ram
    30 Red Cherry Shrimp

Can I get feedback on this from other forum members? I want to see if I am on par with everyone.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post

What I would advice you is a rebuilt and getting rid of the nuisance algae. Feed the fish like you normally would and then give the tank a 72 hour blackout. Don't switch the lights on, tape black plastic garbage bags over the glass or something like. No peeking, no feeding for 72 hours. After that do a 50% water change taking extra care to syphon away the dead algae.
    I agree with TD here and I think this is the first thing you should do. Second thing I would do is pick up a supplemental filter...the AC50 with an AC30 would do, or you could pick up and AC70. Up your water changes and substrate cleaning to two 50% water changes twice per week. I would vacuum the entire bottom of the tank with each water change. You've got to get rid of the excess nutrients in the tank.

After these steps, I would feed the fish once per day and only an amount that they can consume with in 30 seconds. If any food is missed by the fish and it ends up on the substrate, then you're feeding to much.

Sandz's suggestions fall in line next and I think his proposed stocking guide is a good one....no, it's a great one. I love the idea of a Blue Pinoy Angel with the 3 different shoals he has proposed.

So I guess I'm just repeating what already been suggested.
    Last edited by Taurus; 05-09-2013 at 05:49 PM.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Boy, you sure got some very good ideas from our resident experts. But they all forgot the most important suggestion. I am surprised at them.

You first need to fix a cup of EarlGrey tea and meditate about your tank

That has got to be the most important part of fixin up an aquarium.

Seriously though, they have given you some very good advice. Wish I knew more about aquariums so I could help too. I guess I could offer....watch out for snails on the new plants.

Have a great day
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vreugy View Post
    Boy, you sure got some very good ideas from our resident experts. But they all forgot the most important suggestion. I am surprised at them.

That has got to be the most important part of fixin up an aquarium.

Seriously though, they have given you some very good advice. Wish I knew more about aquariums so I could help too. I guess I could offer....watch out for snails on the new plants.

Have a great day
    Hey hey now! lol I didnt meantion the tea but I meantioned reviewing the other threads to generate those ideas... that count?
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandz View Post

15 Purple Raspboras
    15 Rummy-Nose Tetras
    1 Blue Pinoy Angel
    10 Schwartz Cory
    1 Bolivian Ram
    30 Red Cherry Shrimp

Can I get feedback on this from other forum members? I want to see if I am on par with everyone.
    What a lively, beautiful, fun tank this would be!
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandz View Post

15 Purple Raspboras
    15 Rummy-Nose Tetras
    1 Blue Pinoy Angel
    10 Schwartz Cory
    1 Bolivian Ram
    30 Red Cherry Shrimp

That's fully loaded then, touch too full for my taste. Would work in soft water, if OP lives in a liquid rock area it will end badly quite soon

I'd keep a few less endlers and start with 10 cherry shrimp to keep it affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by Vreugy View Post

Earl grey? Nah, some Assam or a simple builder's tea.

Tropica has some inspirational layouts by the way: http://www.tropica.com/en/layouts.aspx
    Last edited by talldutchie; 05-09-2013 at 07:02 PM.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass 
    TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    What a lively, beautiful, fun tank this would be!
    A big + 1 on that comment, that would indeed be a beautifully stocked tank.
    Last edited by steeler58; 05-09-2013 at 07:05 PM.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all,

Checking in, thank you, thank you for all the insightful comments! I'm sure I won't be able to respond to all individually, but I'll try to br thorough!

First off, I'm not sure where the confusion about the test kit is coming from, but I DO have a liquid API freshwater master test kit and it is not expired. I had a rummy nose tetra die and brought water to my lfs in order to return it. The RN tetra was obviously small and acting weird when I brought I bought it home and passed in a few days. The lfs tested the water and the results were the same as my person test kit.

The lfs I generally go to is The Fish Store in Seattle.

A few months ago I did have taller plants growing as well as floating plants and a piece of drift wood. The plants have died back and the drift wood sank. I am trying to add more vertical structure.

Water changes! I am surprised at the advice to change 50% twice a week, I had heard that was too much and would upset the balance in the tank. I had heard the same about vaccuuming the whole tank each water change...But it appears I stand corrected. Any elaboration on this?

Plants! Ideally, I want to stick with plants requiring low light/nutrients. I do want to have a robust plant population but I want it to be as low maintenence as is reasonable. Any comments on whether my current lights will cut it?

Sandz. I love your stocking suggestion!

last comment for now...I am meditating on my perfect tank!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScienceGirl View Post
    Hi all,

Checking in, thank you, thank you for all the insightful comments! I'm sure I won't be able to respond to all individually, but I'll try to br thorough!

First off, I'm not sure where the confusion about the test kit is coming from, but I DO have a liquid API freshwater master test kit and it is not expired. I had a rummy nose tetra die and brought water to my lfs in order to return it. The RN tetra was obviously small and acting weird when I brought I bought it home and passed in a few days. The lfs tested the water and the results were the same as my person test kit.

The lfs I generally go to is The Fish Store in Seattle.

A few months ago I did have taller plants growing as well as floating plants and a piece of drift wood. The plants have died back and the drift wood sank. I am trying to add more vertical structure.

Water changes! I am surprised at the advice to change 50% twice a week, I had heard that was too much and would upset the balance in the tank. I had heard the same about vaccuuming the whole tank each water change...But it appears I stand corrected. Any elaboration on this?
    No, it's a lot. 30% once a week is plenty for a well run planted tank.

50%, especially twice a week is something for a heavily stocked unplanted in my opinion

Plants! Ideally, I want to stick with plants requiring low light/nutrients. I do want to have a robust plant population but I want it to be as low maintenence as is reasonable. Any comments on whether my current lights will cut it?

Sandz. I love your stocking suggestion!

last comment for now...I am meditating on my perfect tank!

Twin T5 HO is NOT low light, medium easily. Plants take some effort, if you're unwilling or unable to supply that 15 minutes twice a week then a driftwood and amazon frogbit tank is more for you.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am definitely willing to put in 15 mins twice a week! Beyond a water change, what does this entail for happy plants? Any good references about aquarium plant maintenence?