· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Stocking and choosing your tank

0 Not allowed!
    One of the big problems people fall into with keeping fish is overstocking their tank and the correct fish to keep. When choosing my tank i had in mind what fish i was wanting to keep and if all these would live happily together. This took a lot of searching around multiple forums and helpful websites to finally help me decide which tank and fish to go for. I really did find this a long drawn out job (I know its part of the fun) . Once i got my tank setup and fully cycled it was time to get my first few fish. This all went swimmingly well but i still had that little thought of what if them harlequin do need a few more mates in there. I then ran upon this great website which allows you to input you tank size,filter type, and all other info. You then go through adding which fish you have in your aquarium and which fish you would like to put in there. The website will then give you general advise on whether the fish you chose will live well together and what stock quantity you are running at. The other good thing, is that it also tells you tips like say you only have 3 harlequin rasbora but they really should live in shoals of 5 or more or, a cory will need either bog wood or drift wood to live happily which i found brilliant. One other thing it tells you iv the average PH level your tank should be at, the temperature and the % of water change you should be aiming for per week. I know this is only a guide and will not be 100% accurate like anything BUT for a beginner i think this website is definitely worth a go for anyone who is either having trouble buying the correct size tank for the fish they want or if its just for logging the fish they have to keep track. Hope this helps any beginners out there as i would have loved to have found this earlier but i do use it now to check little things before buying my next fish.

http://www.aqadvisor.com

Regards
    Aiden

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I do know that i am pointing people to other websites here BUT i think as much information you have before jumping the gun is definitely a good thing.

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    It IS a good tool to use in conjunction with other resources, I agree.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Good website. Lots of people here use it as a starting point.
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 12 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    I wasn't a big fan when it started here http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...light=software and I'm still not a big fan. I will admit it is better than doing no research at all.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    It's a tool, and like any other tool, quality of work is user dependent.

The stocking percentages are very conservative though, which is a good thing for new fish keepers.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    I agree jaysee, it's a tool and like I said, it's better than no research at all. I would definitely rather see people using it over just going out and buying fish and stuffing them in a tank.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger 1 View Post
    I agree jaysee, it's a tool and like I said, it's better than no research at all. I would definitely rather see people using it over just going out and buying fish and stuffing them in a tank.
    This is exactly what i meant by the post. It is a great tool and i for one am a fan and i would always say use tools like these and forums such as here to get a better idea.