· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Asking advice on LED light for planted 46bf

0 Not allowed!
    I currently have a T5 4-bulb fixture over my 46bf, but half the fixture has quit on me so I'm left with only 2 working bulbs. The fixture is only a year old too, and was the replacement for another T5 fixture that also died.

I am SO ready to make the move to LED, but there are so many to choose from!! I would like to hear from those of you who have LEDs on your tanks - what brand, pros and cons, and so on.

The tank is planted with mostly crypts plus some vals, so the light requirements are not terribly high. I'm looking at the Marineland Plant LED fixture with timer, as that seems to be the best "bang for the buck." I'm not absolutely sold on it, however - I've read some reviews that weren't very favorable and I've had quite enough of fixtures that quit after a short time.

Unfortunately, I'm not handy with electrical wiring so DIY is not my first choice; if there is a kit with everything I'd need plus detailed instructions I'd consider it, because I'm not totally inept mechanically. Selecting and assembling components on my own would most likely end up badly so it would have to be an all-inclusive kit.

Thanks for any input you may have.
    Dragoon Woman
    46 bowfront: Planted, Angelfish, Rasboras, Cories, Tetras, Otos
    25g: Planted, cherry shrimp, otos
    5g: Planted, Betta
    4g: Planted, betta
    5 horses, 7 cats, all rescued animals

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The marineland plant fixtures are nice and do the job but they're overpriced and they're better fixtures that provide a more adequate spectrum.

Since you want led, buildmyled comes to mind.

http://www.buildmyled.com/freshwater-planted-tank/

A 36'' planted tank spectrum with them costs you 240 compared to 300 for the same length marineland planted tank one (it's 300 on sale,usually higher).

You'll find nothing but positive reviews on buildmyled fixtures and come highly recommended from users on theplantedtank.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above. I think the marineland products are overpriced for what they offer.

Buildmyled has good review.
    My local LFS had a new Fluval LED, it was 36'' long and looked very nice. But he said it was around 270ish?

I am only a week into my LED planted tank and nothing has died off immediately....so it's a good start. lol
    I currently am rocking the Finnex FugeRay 36in on my 40b and have nothing but rave reviews. ($110 shipped :) )
    Doing a low tech set up and the spec's on my fixture make it seem like it will work. only time will tell if my plants survive and grow.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks very much for the link - I'm looking at the site and may give them a call to discuss what I need. You're right - all the reviews are very positive which certainly gives me a warm-and-fuzzy about it!
    Dragoon Woman
    46 bowfront: Planted, Angelfish, Rasboras, Cories, Tetras, Otos
    25g: Planted, cherry shrimp, otos
    5g: Planted, Betta
    4g: Planted, betta
    5 horses, 7 cats, all rescued animals