· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Help with Hardscaping/Aquascaping (Driftwood)

0 Not allowed!
    Looking for opinions on the driftwood I found/set up in a mock aquarium. I am in the beginning stages so please, now is the time to be honest. Is the driftwood attractive? Does it have enough "character" (bends, curves, etc.). Does the setup look natural? Does it give depth to the aquarium?

The idea behind this setup is to "lead the eye" into the crevice that the two pieces of driftwood create:

photo (2).JPG

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That is a hard question to ask.

Opinions are just that-something I think feel is always going to be different than what you think/feel.

If you have an empty tank, throw these pieces in there and start laying out design's and pick what you personally love. it's your tank that you have to look at. I'll never see it unless you post on here :P

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well to be honest I am pretty happy with the way it is looking, especially how it naturally creates that "cave" on the bottom left.

Everyone has their personal preference, but I'm specifically inquiring about the wood itself and if it has the potential to make the tank pop. Often I see these pieces of driftwood online that have so many curves and strata, it's a bit discouraging lol.

Just looking for a variety of opinions is all. I want something that not only I enjoy, but others enjoy when they come into my home :)

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i can tell you're looking for a third party objective opinion haha

i personally love it and actually would love to do something like this with my dream biotope tank that i'm planning/saving up for

it's not the most amazing wood - not like those very expensive malaysian driftwoods they sell...but the arrangement is great so i think that makes up for it!
    20gal: 18 neon tetra, ghost shrimp
    5.5gal: 5 glolight tetra
    5.5gal: royal blue/purple butterfly rose tail betta

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    oh and where did you get this wood?

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie 
    .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    I like this. To make it look the most natural though, I would suggest bare bottom put this in and then pour your substrate on top that way it is coming out of the ground and its like its been there for a long while.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandz View Post
    I like this. To make it look the most natural though, I would suggest bare bottom put this in and then pour your substrate on top that way it is coming out of the ground and its like its been there for a long while.
    +1, or at least partially bury the wood. Is it going to stick out of the top of the tank?

Make sure its hardwood so it doesn't rot...
    The Dirty 75
    11 Parva Rainbow, 2 Platies, 14 Sterbai, 4 Calico BN Pleco
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Love the encouragement! Thank you for the honest answers/opinions. To answer the questions about the wood... I found it laying next to a riverbed in Southeast Texas. I was hiking through a creek and spotted it, but I have no idea how to tell whether it is hard or soft wood. Any advice lol?

Sandz, that was an excellent suggestion, and one that ironically enough matches the way that I found this driftwood. It was partially burried in dirt/sand and I had to lean on it a bit to pull it out. I will definitely be utilizing this suggestion :)

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    take a running start and run your head into it. if you wake up a minute later, it's hard. if you immediately realize you're bleeding, it's soft.

haha...in all seriousness, look at the parts that were partially submerged in WATER, not the mud (anaerobic environment). the parts that were in the water shouldn't look rotten. i'd also strip the bark off the best you can and that way you can look at the grain of the wood. driftwood exists because it hasn't rotted! and you never see any bark on a good piece because that DOES rot off, or someone helped it along by removing it.

Quote Originally Posted by tychondrias View Post
    I have no idea how to tell whether it is hard or soft wood. Any advice lol?

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie 
    .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    Best option is to take a wire brush to it and remove all bark, looks like some of the oak that falls around me which is hard wood. See how brittle it is too... make sure its not rotting internally.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's