· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

Default Beginning to plan a pond

0 Not allowed!
    Hi guys, I am begin to plan a pond which I have roughly(ROUGHLY) drawn out here:

I had planned on constructing a waterfall in the top right corner.

I was just looking for some general info and starting tips that you guys could offer on things such as filtration and liners.
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I dont have alot of advice because I have never done a pond before. I would think that a large UV Sterilizer would be in order to help control algea if your pond will get alot of direct sun.

Good luck and I cant wait to see some pictures as you make more progress.

LionelC

0 Not allowed!
    If I remember correctly, Crispy has set up a pond before

Hopefully he can offer you some advice here
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    North Carolina... do you get frost there? If so you want at least one bit 75cm deep to allow fish to winter.

There's basically two ways to do a pond. A nature pond with tons of plants and a low stocking level of fish. Or a more high tecth approach using filters and pumps. In any case, do consider a shallow area to allow births to drink and bath.
    Liner.. I've used pond liner. Important with that is some kind of base for it. Special matting or a sand bed.

Awards Showcase

After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish 
    Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa Merry Christmas - KingFisher 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 
    Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Happy Birthday. - gadget228 

0 Not allowed!
    A really easy and great way to build a large basic pond pump is building a simple bucket filter, but scale up and use a plastic garbage pail.aeonflame has a great DIY bucket filter here on the site. The filter can easily be hidden behind your waterfall.

As for liner, get the thickest you can find and go as deep as you can. I have a shallow rim around my wide end to allow for plants and stuff.

As stated above, algae is usually a big nuisance. Shade, UV, and floating plants can all help.

Here's an idea of what I mean...
    Last edited by Crispy; 05-07-2013 at 10:52 PM.
    Thar she blows!!!

0 Not allowed!
    Oh wow Crispy that pond looks like it belongs in the Wizard of Oz. Thanks for all the advice it will come to be very helpful I'm sure. I have a few questions:

In regards to the statement about the deeper area for the fish to winter, yes that will be necessary. About how wide will the deeper area need to be?

About the algae, I also have large birds so I had already planned to build an awning of sorts.

And lastly about the filtration; I know I will need a pump that puts out around 700-1000 GPH, maybe a tad bigger. But as far as the actual filtration goes I had found a relatively premade waterfall filtration system made by tetra that seemed like a good option. Which would you guys recommend? I would like to save money but would also like to have a pond comparable to the one shown by Crispy.
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.