· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default permanent gill damage from toxins?

0 Not allowed!
    i posted earlier about a very "lazy" male betta who was rescued from some pretty awful conditions. this fish has definitely been exposed to high levels of toxins, likely ammonia for a while, then the nitrites, then high concentrations of nitrates because the tank was not cycled and just pretty much left for weeks or a month at a time with no complete water changes, filter sometimes not running, etc.

i have noticed the poor fellow breathes rather heavily compared to my other healthy betta who came from a great fish store that kept them in small filtered tanks. the suspect fish, as mentioned, very lethargic. also, his gills seem to feather out of his covers a little bit more than most bettas, kind of like he is about to flare in his fighting stance. i am suspecting permanent gill damage. anyone know the signs of this? i have read so many conflicting bits of info out there and can't pinpoint it to anything definitive. he eats and does normal betta things, but is just extremely lethargic and rests more than any betta i have ever seen. he has been in optimal conditions for 2 weeks and 2 days now.

btw: i have ruled out columnaris. there's no lesions on the gills and he'd surely be dead by now.
    20gal: 18 neon tetra, ghost shrimp
    5.5gal: 5 glolight tetra
    5.5gal: royal blue/purple butterfly rose tail betta

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It would help to get a picture but I think you're right about the damage caused by toxins. It sounds like everything I've read about gill damage. There is probably nothing you can do to help it.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    speaking of the importance of water quality - here is what the guy's gills look like. betta have that slight feathering out from the gill covers, i know - but this is a little more than average and plus the labored breathing and lethargic behavior. i guess he will never be super active - but hey - he responds to me, doesn't have other diseases, and eats well. lifespan is probably shortened, but hopefully the damaged areas have healed and he isn't in pain, although the gills will never function like normal again

do you think aquarium salt would be appropriate for him to help with his respiration...maybe like half the regular dose as a regular regimen?photo.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Limming View Post
    It would help to get a picture
    20gal: 18 neon tetra, ghost shrimp
    5.5gal: 5 glolight tetra
    5.5gal: royal blue/purple butterfly rose tail betta