· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Guppy bloating (see picture) - is this dropsy ? constipation ? hemorrhoids ?

0 Not allowed!
    Our female guppy has been bloating like this for a couple of weeks. Today pink stuff came out of her gravid and it looks bad. Her apetite is still there, she still seems happy but obviously something is wrong. Her body is now contorted due to the extreme bloating.

Internet search didn't really prove anything definite, there are some conflicting theories about it. So here is the picture of Sun, I would love to hear what you folks think about her. What is she having ? I didn't want to just put antibiotics, salt or anything without knowing really what happenned. Other fish in the tank are fine.

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/...ap25/Guppy.jpg

And if we have to euthanize her please also offer some suggestions. As you can imagine it is terribly horrifying to do it but if she is feeling pain right now and there's no way out then I would help her out of her misery. She's truly been wonderful, productive (3+ births, more than 50 babies) and fun.

Thank you.
    Steve

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Im really sorry about your fish's problem :(

i have never kept guppys or euthanised a fish so im sorry i cant offer much help, i have heard that clove oil is one of the more humane ways to euthanise a fish. hope she gets better!!

0 Not allowed!
    To be frank, it looks bad. I don't have an idea what caused it but it looks like her internal organs are being expelled through the vent. I think that it is time for euthanasia, as it probably will never heal.
    Take the fish out and put it in a small container with some tank water. Gradually add clove oil(drop by drop) until the fish keels over and gill movement stops. Once gills have ceased moving for 10+ minutes the fish probably is dead, but you can freeze it or chop its head off etc etc to ensure its death.

0 Not allowed!

Adding a capful of vodka to the water at this stage (after the fish is put to sleep from clove oil) will ensure it won't reawake.

Looks like a prolapse to me. Not good and probably not salvageable. I'd euthanise before it suffers any more.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for all the replies folks.

Sun has passed on, it was a sad day for the family. I had hoped she could get better but I guess it probably was too late. Next time I will be more proactive knowing more about this symptom.

Happy tanking all !