· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default input wanted on a neon tetra matter

0 Not allowed!
    hello all

so, i have eight neons in a very stable community tank. have had them all for about 1 year. water parameters all good...great in fact. i have ONE of the neons that has almost completely lost its red coloring. it's almost white at this point. has worsened slightly since i first noticed it about a month ago. he is behaving completely normally, including eating, and none of the others are affected. i have ruled out neon tetra disease because it's just been way too long for it to suddenly manifest itself. my theory as it stands is he is probably of old age. anyone else ever have something like this happen?

greatly appreciate any input. thank you.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    not sure of the specifically neons but loss of color is generally associated to stress of some sort
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above.

color changes that i've experienced are due to stress/fluxuations in water params/temps.

what's the other stock and size of your tank?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i've got a dwarf gourami, some harley rasbora, black neons, ghost shrimp, and a couple julii corys...these fish have all been together for about a year. the water parameters have never changed. i just do not see what would be stressing out one fish of a school and none of the others. and again, he is just as happy go lucky as my other neons. no change in behavior whatsoever.

0 Not allowed!
    I've never seen it posted here before, but when i kept my neon tetras (15 of them) I saw a sort of pecking order amongst them. My larger tetra would chase some of others around. It was not a constant thing. I thought they were sort of playing since i have never read any posts of them fighting amonst themselves. So just maybe its a inhouse type of fighting going on. Just thought i'd share that.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 

0 Not allowed!
    has any of your parameters changed abruptly? ie ph, temp, nitrates, nitrite, ammonia, chlorine/chlorimine?
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    nope. nothing has changed. my water is very consistent and i am a water change nazi haha. crystal clear at all times and tests always better than acceptable. my guys don't really have much of a pecking order, which is kind of an anomaly because i know most neons have that pecking order thing. this is why i'm leaning toward old age as the cause. i saw some posts elsewhere where someone suggested that. hopefully maybe someone has had this specific thing happen. genocidex, did any of your neons low in the pecking order discolor?

Quote Originally Posted by genocidex View Post
    has any of your parameters changed abruptly? ie ph, temp, nitrates, nitrite, ammonia, chlorine/chlorimine?

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    1 yr isnt that old for neons, unless you got an oldy. what are you feeding them? keep an eye on that gourami, even the dwarfs can take advantage of slower fish... other than that i cant think of much else. ive seen lately more water supply companies switch from chlorine to chloromines, with out notice to customers. actually happened to me, luckly the dechlorinator i used can break the bond and detox it, but my mom's bf aged his water.... lost all his fish over the course of a month. but seeing how its only one fish, i doubt it...
    gotta love them bunnies!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    it could have been an old one. you never know. over a million tetras are sent to us in the US every month haha. i feed high quality tropical flakes, crushed up tropical pellets, frozen blood worms, freeze dried tubifex worms, frozen brine shrimp, and sinking shrimp pellets for the bottom feeders which the neons hang around to get the scraps that fly up from them. chloramines and chlorine are both taken care of by prime i believe. my gourami is pretty laid back. he actually only harasses the corys and tries to steal their pellets. that's the only aggressive thing that happens in my tank. i guess i'll keep up observing and researching and report back on it.thank you for the brainstorming though!

Quote Originally Posted by genocidex View Post
    1 yr isnt that old for neons, unless you got an oldy. what are you feeding them? keep an eye on that gourami, even the dwarfs can take advantage of slower fish... other than that i cant think of much else. ive seen lately more water supply companies switch from chlorine to chloromines, with out notice to customers. actually happened to me, luckly the dechlorinator i used can break the bond and detox it, but my mom's bf aged his water.... lost all his fish over the course of a month. but seeing how its only one fish, i doubt it...

Awards Showcase

Thanks!!! - steeler58 Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus 
    Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Is the neon consistently pale or just sometimes? All the neons I have ever had lose color to some degree when the lights are out and slowly color back up when the lights come back on.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.