· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by vafa View Post
    well every body does more water changes than me. should i do more water changes. i was thinking doing 2 water changes of 25% over the weekend. is that good enough?
    water change schedule depends highly on the stock, many keepers of mbunas will do a minimum 75% weekly because they are pushing the stocking limits. i do a 50% because its just easy enough to do, i have figured i can keep my nitrates in good levels with a 20% wc. if you can keep your nitrates under 5ppm or so then you are doing a good schedule. test of course right before the wc.

other reasons to do a water change are to get rid of poo build up, and replace micro nutrients for plants. it is also a very effective way to combat deises, and infections. in most cases its best to do too much wc than not enough.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    1. twice a week about 15%
    2. When it stops flowing, about every 3 weeks
    3. Never. I do stir up whatever debris is sitting on the sand
    4. Pruning, at least weekly.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    50-75% weekly water change. Clean canisters maybe every 6 months. which reminds me I haven't done that in a while. I dont vac my planted tanks but I do hover over my sand every week to pick up poo. Ferts and supplements every other day. Water parameters check once a week before water changes. I change out my light globes once a year If I remember that.
    4ft mbuna mangaino and yellows
    4ft rainbow tank
    4ft planted community
    16g nano planted shrimp and neon tetras
    10g nano reef

0 Not allowed!
    1 how often and how much water is removed with your water changes?

120L: At least 30-50% weekly.
    30L: 60% weekly or 30% twice weekly.

2 how often do you "clean your filter"?

120L: Only when I have to. Every 3-4 months.
    30L: Every 3 weeks (or when the flow drops).

3 how often do you vacuum your gravel?

120L: Never. I have ADA substrate (planting soil).
    30L: Never. I have ADA substrate (planting soil).

4 any other maintenance routines

120L: Plant trimming every two or three weeks. EasyCarbo daily and ProFito weekly. Potassium and Fosfo every 2-3 days.
    30L: Plant trimming every two weeks. Glass cleaning twice a week.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    50% every other day. 2200 gallons.
    Bare bottoms. all use only hydro sponges. Poop siphon every other day.
    I have a comprehensive disease prevention schedule. Full quarantined room. Nothing gets in that has not spent 90 days in the hold.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by vafa View Post
    well every body does more water changes than me. should i do more water changes. i was thinking doing 2 water changes of 25% over the weekend. is that good enough?
    Good enough for what? Everyone is going to have different maintenance routines depending on their setup. YOU really are the only one that can decided what is good enough by checking water parameters and knowing your setup. IMO some do way to much. When you complete water changes and or top off the tank for water evaporation are you using tap water (with chlorine treatment) or RO? It makes a difference. IMO I really think a log is important. Keep track of everything you do to your tank. I plug my data into a spreadsheet and make a graphical chart of it. You can forecast when filter media needs to be rinsed, etc.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, Red Wag Platy, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

Awards Showcase

My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    1. 30-40% weekly
    2. 2 AC110s - each cleaned every 2 weeks, on an alternating schedule (one this week, the other next week)
    3. debris is vacuumed from top of sand weekly, sand is stirred every 6 weeks
    4. filter motor cleaned every 4 weeks, algae removed as needed
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras, Albino BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!

discus - daily 90% excluding past few weeks curing a small issue where i changed 0 water for 1 week.
    Normal tanks 25% 3x a week.

sponges are wrung out in a bucket every change, hobs are only cleaned when flow is noticably decreased (maybe once a year)

I dont unless I can visably see buildup or gunk that isnt getting taken care of. Most of my fish are either bare bottom (cleaned during w/c), or sand bottom tanks.

4 any other maintenance routines

weekly I whipe my tank walls down to eliminate biofilm from my discus tanks. Also all water change devices are sterilized if there is any cross contamination. I have a non-discus python and a discus python for water changes.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 
    Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA 
    It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 Congrats on 2,000 post! - Slaphppy7 Sorry to hear about the loss of your Cat :( - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!

Minimum 50% pwc 2-3 times per week

Try to alternate rinsing the sponges in tank water for either the canister or HOB every 3-4 weeks

with every pwc, I have a tendency to overfeed.

4 any other maintenance routines answers for my tank

seachem flourish one a week, alternate cleaning my canister hoses when the mood strikes which is every other month or so, wipe down the interior glass once a week

Default what is your matinence routine?

0 Not allowed!
    1. I change 80% of the water, about once a month. Used to do weekly changes but haven't in a couple years now.

2. I run 2 canisters on my tanks - I clean them both every June and December.

3. I don't ever vacuum the sand.

4. None really.
    Last edited by jaysee; 05-07-2013 at 02:10 AM.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10