what is your matinence routine?
i was just wondering the different opinions on maintenance routines.
1 how often and how much water is removed with your water changes?
2 how often do you "clean your filter"?
3 how often do you vacuum your gravel?
4 any other maintenance routines
answers for my tank
1) 25% water changes every week. once in a while i do a 50%
2) once a month
3) every week along with water changes.
4) use a a magnet to clean out algae every 2 weeks
1. once a week, approx. 30-40%
2. backflushing once every two weeks, thorough cleaning whenever flow drops or I feel like it
3. once a week
4. canister filter tube cleaning every 3-4 weeks, plant fertilization every week after water change, refilling and cleaning DIY CO2 system every 2-3 weeks.
1. Once a week 50-75%
2. every 3 months
3. never-I have sand
4. Every 6mo I use prazi pro to deworm
I change about 75% weekly.
I clean about 1/3 of the substrate with each weekly water change
I clean each canister filter about once a month (never both at the same time)
I clean the canister tubes about once every 3 or 4 months
If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info
I change from 50 - 75% weekly. Occasionally I'll add a mid-week water change
I generally vac 1/2 of the substrate with each weekly water change
I only clean the HOB filters if the flow slows down or if I see they are particularly gunky.
I clean the canister every 3 - 4 months
I've only cleaned the canister tubes once in an 8 month period. I MUST get better at that.
I dose the tank with prazi pro 2 X a year as a precaution.
Also remove rocks and plants and clean with bleach solution when diatoms get ugly - more often than I'd like, usually monthly
30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492
i do about 60% a week in two water changes i have a 110g 25g every 3-4 days and clean out my filters every 3 months or so. Its been working for me. I dont reccommend big water changes at once if you have a heavy stock as i came to experience it messes with the bio media which have gave me problems in the past.
110g All Male Peacock/Hap Tank
i do at least 50% WC every week on all my tanks, scrub any algae i see, i clean my filters on an as remember basis in old tank water. daily dose of co2 booser, weekly water column ferts (speaking of that.... oops) and every 3/4 months i root tab.
KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
gotta love them bunnies!
I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!
well every body does more water changes than me. should i do more water changes. i was thinking doing 2 water changes of 25% over the weekend. is that good enough?
50%% water change a week during winter, with gravel vac
75% water change a week during the summer, with gravel vac
Cold water only used during water change
Feed fish epsom salt soaked pellets every 6 months to help with intestinal flagellates
1 tablespoon of powder Rid-X septic waste treatment per 75 g every 2 weeks (dissolved in tank water and mixed in a pitcher) to help slow down nitrate production.
1) 75% to 90% once a week on regular tanks; 90% every day when i have fish in the hospital tank.
2) i gently shake out the filters in the old tank water every week and squeeze out my foam intake covers
3) do about half the tank's gravel every two weeks
4) i do a little algae scraping with an old credit card on the glass every week on the obviously visible accumulations; a full-on cleaning of ornaments and glass once a month to make it spotless BEFORE the water change so i suck up the junk floating around after i do it. i swear by the old credit card technique haha. i use a scrubber on the glass once a month to try and keep the white mineral build up in check.