· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default acclimating eel from fresh to brackish water

0 Not allowed!
    i recently had an impulse buy and ended up with a brackish eel described to me as "freshwater". so i had to make a decision my chicilids or the eel... i choose the eel and am ready to start adding the salt however i was wondering if anyone had any expieriance or tips when it comes to acclimating the eel. he is a Gymnothroax tile aka freshwater snowflake eel.

0 Not allowed!
    I have never kept ells (FW or SW) so take my advice accordingly

Based on my experience and research with marine fish, I can tell you that a great than 0.003 swing in salinity in a shorter period of time with marine fish can be fatal to more sensitive marine fish.

When it comes to acclimating fish to different water parameters, slower is typically better. Only bad things happen fast in this hobby.

Maybe aim for a less than 0.003 change in salinity within a 24 hour period until you get to your target level. I would suggest using a refactormeter to make sure you are getting accurate readings
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    and also make sure to add a "salt" mix designed for marine applications instead of just aquarium salt or pure NaCl.
    A common misconception is that seawater is just water mixed with salt. in reality there are
    many, many different compounds in there(but we notice the salt the most due to its taste).

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thank you for the info!!! since you have kept eels would you happen to have any suggestions on the best long term salinity range i have read that gymnothorax tile does really well at 1.018 but he is still kinda young (about 9 to 12 inches) so i wasnt sure if that was to high for him.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    sorry nvm i reread and see that you "not" lol sorry.