· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above.

I think it is a blend of how the times are changing.

New knowledge, new science, new technology, etc.

Take a look at the science being taught in college now... it is light years ahead of what our grandparents learned in their days.

Either way, if you have healthy, clean water then it doesn't really matter what schedule you are on.
    The only thing I do know-is that for new people into the hobby...it's easier to start them off with frequent water changes as that is the easiest way to ease into the hobby before getting a "feel" of what works and the safest thing for their fish.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Heres a question because it seems old schoolers dont worry much about nitrates how do you determine what works for you ? By what you see inn your fish behavior or by the test ? because they are either doings something special to not have high nitrates with overstocked tanks or just grew to not think much about it because they been doing it so long.
    110g All Male Peacock/Hap Tank

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Nitrates are toxic to fish just like ammonia and nitrites, but they can tolerate higher levels of nitrates. Blak, you have personally seen how higher nitrates has a negative affect on your fish back when you had the other tank and the other fish. You have also personally seen how following our advice and changing water more often can benefit the health your fish. Learn from you own experience.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BiGBlak View Post
    Heres a question because it seems old schoolers dont worry much about nitrates how do you determine what works for you ? By what you see inn your fish behavior or by the test ? because they are either doings something special to not have high nitrates with overstocked tanks or just grew to not think much about it because they been doing it so long.
    Nothing special, eventually areas of their tank (like the substrate or filter media) becomes anaerobic. Anaerobic bacteria consumes nitrates and full consumption mean that it is broken down into nitrogen gas.

UGFs are great filters if maintained properly. Not too many people left who understand how to maintain it.

I've also talked to quite a few who have kept fish over 30 years, and they believe in over 75% water changes everyday for all types of fish.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 05-06-2013 at 01:32 AM.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post

UGFs are great filters if maintained properly. Not too many people left who understand how to maintain it.
    This is true, and a great example of how this hobby has advanced, or at least changed, for the better. When I was a child, UGF was the filter to have, now I couldn't tell you how to properly maintain one with any confidence and a poorly maintained UGF can cause disaster. Now I prefer canisters because for me they are easier to maintain.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I failed initially at keeping a fish tank with UGFs too, until I found a fishkeeper who gave me these tips.

1. Never stick the gravel vacuum into the gravel where most of your bacteria live. Just vacuum above it.

2. Every month or 2, put a 5/8" vinyl tubing down the air columns and siphon out the brown mulm build-up where are all the waste are broken down.

3. Get a stronger air pump than the one rated for your tank size. So if you have a 20g, get one for a 30 or 40g.

4. If you have cichlids, put egg crate light diffuser over a 2-3" bed of gravel, and cover it with another 2" bed. The cichlids won't be able to dig past that bed covered with an egg crate.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BiGBlak View Post
    If i can cut down on my 25g water changes twice a week i would gladly do it oh and i know it doesnt hurt to do them so frequently.
    Reduce the tank temp to the lowest range for your fish, and only feed 4 times or less a week.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    Reduce the tank temp to the lowest range for your fish, and only feed 4 times or less a week.
    room temp keeps my tank at 82f because of the heat my entertainment center generates and i keep my windows shut because i dont have a screen and bugs get in. i would totally do that.
    110g All Male Peacock/Hap Tank

0 Not allowed!
    My old school experience wrecked my present time tank. I kept tanks in the early 80's. I didn't know anything about cycling. I didn't keep a test kit and changed my water once a month. I would completely empty the tank, scorch the gravel in extremely hot water, and change the filter pads. Never used a single water conditioner but somehow my oscars and ciclids survived. Fast forward some 30 plus years later and I try that and it would not work..........PERIOD! In order to be successful I took to the internet, found this forum and was fine until I had to tear down my tanks due to coming to Afghan. Times have changed......and so should we.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well got my first tank from my sister which actually was a fish bowl with those nice looking colored marbles back in the day.

She got a Metaframe tank with the slate bottom that was a heavy tank with the black tar looking stuff that tried to make it not leak.

Lucky to get one that did not.

But back on the subject, back in the day 50 years ago, did not really need the Prime stuff as only Chlorine and as said just had to make sure you poured it so that would dissipate and good to go.

Did a weekly WC the whole tank and filter filter floss and charcoal made by Wardley I think or Hart's Mountain.

Fish died ,fish were replaced , Oscars were .69 each for a regular one red's were like .89 each, healthy moving fish.

Then came the 70's thru 80's about the same thing , except HOB filters and yes the dreaded UF, I set my first SW tank up with an UF filter looked cool with all the

bubbles coming out and a big Air pump, well needless to say most things died, WC were done with regular water after using the stuff to remove chlorine and bang

poured in lost a bunch there , but hey they were cheap back then.

Then came the web and all changed, now well Prime and test kits and all that related stuff, I clean my filters only once a month run two filters on the 75 and one

on the 44, the 125 will have two also, all cleaned with tank water, I never vacuum the gravel bed see no reason as the plants are supposed to use the stuff for ferts.

The man that does those Japanese tanks, does not ,as no way to get to the sand bed anyway, Amano does not on a lot of his panted tanks.

Times are changing though, so go with what suits and works for you, I do a weekly change, not heavy on the changing but once every week in both.

In a month the whole tank is changed , I must admit I never check any thing after the setup , but I do have one of those SeaChem ammonia deals hanging in both tanks.

Just in case ,never moves so all must be well.

I hope and the fish do not die so must be right I guess.

Enjoy the hobby , now if SW well a much different way to do them , everything has to be looked at from PH to well you name it.

No more for me on those.

Found my SW pics awhile back boy that stuff looked good.

Jeff
    Last edited by reef12; 05-06-2013 at 11:29 AM.